Buzzing noise after VFD conversion

We have different VFDs...I have the Telco L510, but the parameter that helped mine completely quiet down was the last one on this list... Can you check yours and see if it has something similar?

Control Method -> Code: 00-00 -> From VF mode (0) to SLV mode (1)
Main Frequency Source Selection -> Code: 00-05 -> From Keypad (0) to Potentiometer on Keypad (1)
Frequency Upper Limit -> Code: 00-12 -> Set to 60.00Hz
Frequency Lower Limit -> Code: 00-13 -> Set to 10.00Hz
Acceleration Time -> Code: 00-14 -> Set to 5 seconds
Deceleration Time -> Code: 00-15 -> Set to 5 seconds
Carrier Frequency -> Code: 11-01 -> From 5 to 16 kHz
Carrier Mode Selection -> Code: 11-02 -> From Mode1, 2-Phase PWM modulation (1) to Mode0 3-Phase PWM modulation (0)

Is the whine changing in pitch to match the carrier frequency?
Yes, the noise becomes a lower frequency when lowering the carrier frequency.
I am over 50 and have tinnitus but for some reason, I can 'sort of' hear this. My daughter came out to the shop last night because I could not determine if it was coming from the VFD or the motor. She confirmed it was from the motor.

Carrier Mode Selection -> Code: 11-02 -> From Mode1, 2-Phase PWM modulation (1) to Mode0 3-Phase PWM modulation (0)
Unfortunately, mine does not have that option.

The reason for your auto-tune running shorter is because it is running it static as opposed to dynamic. The latter requires the motor to not be connected to a load so the motor can turn.
Can't he put the spindle in neutral to remove the load, and re-run?

The motor needs to be completely disconnected from the drive system, the Reeves drive and belt would have both friction and and increase mass/momentum. The static mode does work well, so it is a good alternative if one cannot disconnect the drive. There are also other parameters that can tune the VFD to the system with the drive running, this is not motor specific but system specific. Different VFD's use different methods to adjust the carrier frequency so there can be some difference between brands, and it is also a function of the motor. If it is a high pitched whine, this is just a function of how VFD's operate and they all will exhibit it. My mill uses a TEBC, so the electric fan noise is the dominant noise, you can here some whine when it initially starts at the low Hz. As I mentioned, try to run the motor at a higher Hz like 80 and it should decrease.

The motor needs to be completely disconnected from the drive system, the Reeves drive and belt would have both friction and and increase mass/momentum. The static mode does work well, so it is a good alternative if one cannot disconnect the drive. There are also other parameters that can tune the VFD to the system with the drive running, this is not motor specific but system specific. Different VFD's use different methods to adjust the carrier frequency so there can be some difference between brands, and it is also a function of the motor. If it is a high pitched whine, this is just a function of how VFD's operate and they all will exhibit it. My mill uses a TEBC, so the electric fan noise is the dominant noise, you can here some whine when it initially starts at the low Hz. As I mentioned, try to run the motor at a higher Hz like 80 and it should decrease.

well his is not VFD noise, so could it be more serious by transmitting to the windings? Could it affect them, and cause them to fail?

The whine is generated in the motor, not the VFD. If he does a video we can better determine the significance of the noise. Higher carrier frequency should cause less mechanical movement of the windings, but can cause increased heating. In general this is not an issue with newer motors.

The whine is generated in the motor, not the VFD. If he does a video we can better determine the significance of the noise. Higher carrier frequency should cause less mechanical movement of the windings, but can cause increased heating. In general this is not an issue with newer motors.
He said his daughter listened, and it was coming from the motor not the vfd.

@7milesup I also have a Teco L510, and mine is very quiet. One setting that can make more noise is an incorrectly set amperage value. My motors are 6.3 amps, and when I originally set them to 6 mine buzzed as well. I set mine to 6.9 it all went away.

He said his daughter listened, and it was coming from the motor not the vfd.
A motor can/will generate noise(s) due to a VFD. I fly large electric RC airplanes and helis and the motors will generate different noises based on the settings. In fact, the "beeps" that comes from the motors during setup and every time you plug the batteries in are coming from the motor, not the VFD (or ESC in that case).

Back