Buying new or used

I got a used Bridgeport, but that was after running a new PM lathe for a while. That helped me get a feel for accuracy and the types of things that can go wrong with machines. Older machines will often have wear on the ways. Usually, it's not a big deal, you can avoid that area or just work around it. Keep in mind that 99% of the time, within 0.005" is more than accurate enough. Sure, we all end up chasing tenths at some point just because, but most projects don't need that level of precision.

3 phase is a non-issue. There are static and rotary converters, and VFDs. Static does lower the power level of the motor a bit, but usually not enough to be a big issue. If that bothers you, use a rotary or VFD. VFDs also give you the ability to vary the motor speed almost infinitely. Being able to dial in the speed you need can be very helpful. And even the cheap import units work very well. The other benefit to rotary is that you can use one converter on multiple machines. VFDs have to be connected directly to the motor.

As for DRO, get one. Yeah, dials work and you can do great work with them. DRO on a mill offers a lot of nice features beyond knowing where you are. Again, import units work well to keep costs down.

Knee power feed. Very nice to have, I went cheap to get by with a 3D printed adapter for a drill. It works so well I just keep doing it. There are inexpensive metal adapters on ebay and such as well. I use the drill to get close, then the handle to dial it in. I kind of like the plastic, I didn't realize how close I was getting to the end of travel and the adapter broke. Kind of having a fuse. I doubt the drill could have damaged the mill, even with the gear reduction. But I'd prefer not to burn out the drill either. :)

Back