Buying my first lathe

I checked the stands on my G4003G: the stands are made of steel.

I don't know if these are standard stands, but I just ordered it and that is what showed up.
I also don't know if Griz can ship cast iron stands.

I have no problem with the stands that did arrive.

Did I miss the pics? I can't see them
I know you wouldn't come here to tell us about your new machine and not post some pics
Good luck with your lathe, looking forward to seeing some pics
Rich

Aw, man, good point - I'll get some pics RSN. I'm kinda ashamed that it's not totally buried in chips - yet.
I've mainly been cutting delrin/acetal and 6061 aluminum. I tried some pedigree-absent steel from the local Home Depot, but it cuts like @$%!. Even at 2thou/rev the surface finish looks like congealed barf, so much that I thought it'd horked the insert I was using.

In general I'm having trouble finding local suppliers for all the things I need(TM) and online is ugly expensive for prices and shipping both.

Case in point is I wanted to get proper way oil (ISO 68) for this lathe. I found I could get some from Traverse Canada, but minimum quantity is 5 gallon, and between the price and shipping, you're looking at CAD $300. Eventually I found a local supplier who'll do business with hobbyists (http://www.lubri-delta.com/), but the guy I spoke to laughed in my face when I asked about a liter/quart quantity. Minimum quantity is 5 gallon, but the price was quite reasonable (CAD $80), so I have some now. It'll last me a while too...
BTW: OMG the way oil is different from the oil I was using before, totally worth the hassle. I was using transmission fluid, and by comparison the way oil is tacky, sticky, tacky(!!!). With the transmission fluid you squirt some on, and it's good for a job (on my Taig CNC), but if you come back the day after it's gone - evaporated or dripped off, I don't know. The way oil, on the other hand, sticks around in a big way. I come back to my lathe a week later and I can see it puddling up towards the lower extremities of the Vs of the ways, but still very much hanging around.

I've been looking for a local supplier that'll cough up some parting tools (say 1/8" by 11/16"), but so far no one has any in stock.
Industrial (http://industrial.ca) have an open counter with a super-nice guy behind it who's now starting to recognize me (is that a good/bad/indifferent sign?). They had the center drills I was looking for in stock, but I bought their last HSS tool blank, and they had no suitable parting tools in stock.
The guy behind the counter is super-nice as I mentioned, and he gave me the coordinates for the competition, but alas no suitable parting tools in stock there either. So, I'll order some HSS parting tools from industrial, buy a bench grinder and get on with it.

Incidentally, what are starter-friendly steel grades to work with?
Locally I've so far found only http://www.acierlachine.com, who'll do A36/44W, 1141, 1018, 1045, 12L14, STRESSPROOF, 4140 and 4340 in round stock.
I'm using CCMT/CCMG index tooling - though I don't know the specifics on the inserts I got with the PM-supplied tooling I bought.

2 years ago I was looking for a 12 x 36, as it had the minimum features a bigger unit would have. I found a lightly used G4003 5 miles away for less than half of new cost. I like it a lot.

Had a few times that the 1.5 spindle bore was too small, but the 1.57 would not have helped. So far 1400 rpm has been enough for me, but depends on diameters you expect to turn.

I checked the stands on my G4003G: the stands are made of steel.

Thanks - I really can't tell the difference (yet?), but the cast-iron stands I got with the PM are heavy, so much so that I didn't dare lift them alone. The difference in weight between steel and cast iron bases is ~200lb, so I'm guessing they weigh on the order of 150lbs each for a total of 300lb or so.

I've been using aw32 hydrallic oil on my ways and headstock oil on 2 of my lathes. I get it at the local automotive store Napa. I think it was in the 30-40 USD range last 5 gallon bucket

12l14 machines machines nice, aluminium machines easy also either one will get you going without giving too much trouble.

No. 2 Way oil is sold on eBay in small amounts. ISO 68 is sold at tractor and farm supplies too.

I just put my PM1236 on the floor using large 3/4" machine washers and sheet metal shims. I think its good to go if it keeps alignment, it feels solid and stable on the cast stands. I was surprised how straight and smooth the lathe runs, better than expected. I've never had a flood coolant system before, but I figure its time I tried using it since its there.

12L14 is the go to easy to machine steel. Like this stuff: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-rods/=1ai3ep8
Here are a few more options: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-rods/=1ai3en8

Depends on what you want to make. I use mainly O1 and A2 drill rod for tool and die making. I tend to use steels that can be heat treated for durable tools. I sometimes will use cheap cut offs, the local scrap yard may have some good stuff to practice on.

Last edited:
Back