Buying from eBay

As an expert at screwing things up, the advice to do some cheap practice runs, is good advice. A piece of aluminum, some WD40 and maybe some trials at grinding. Very educational. Because of the steep angle on ACME the relief needs to be a lot more than on a V thread.

Some time back, I had to make a half dozen or so nuts known as "followers" for a ceramics machine. A friend was supplying the commercial ceramics industry and the "batter" was chewing up followers fairly fast. Cutting small, 5/8", internal threads is good practice at threading. But, for a finished product in a hurry, especially at the shown prices on eBay, a "single pass tap" would be hard to pass up. The US made one I purchased for the ceramics followers was big $$$. The Chinese prices look a lot better. I have some 1/2" USS taps that cost that much. Following up on the link showed 5/8-10 as well. I don't need one but may order one just to have on hand. Actually two, left and right thread.

I‘m going to give internal treading a try ! I used the back end of a cheap Banggood boring bar . It needed to be turned down and maybe more when I get ever figured out . I drilled and taped the end then drilled and reamed for .250 a dull center drill will be the profile. I roughed it for now because I had to order a Acme thread gauge . I think I’m going to need a magnifying glass , it’s small ! Here’s the old cross slide screw next to it .

Attachments

• FC1CE4BC-E9C0-4235-8F20-C18921E3257C.jpeg
    FC1CE4BC-E9C0-4235-8F20-C18921E3257C.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 14
Well sitting here my wife asks why I’m typing on these forums , so I showed her my threads , this was the top so I said I asked about buying from eBay and usin* PayPal , she says “ I have PayPay and Venmo “. !!!

Well sitting here my wife asks why I’m typing on these forums , so I showed her my threads , this was the top so I said I asked about buying from eBay and usin* PayPal , she says “ I have PayPay and Venmo “. !!!
And you didn't know? :face slap: :grin:

And I’ll confess here : I NEVER bid on EBay only “ Buy it now”

Back