buying first lathe... opinions on TIDA TD4a

There are a couple of different approaches to removing the carriage; one way is to unbolt the front and separate the vertical part from the top horizontal part that rides on the bed, however since this lathe has the powered crossfeed it may be easier to remove the entire unit along with both the leadscrew and the drive shaft still attached. This would require the disconnecting of the leadscrew and driveshaft at the gearbox and unbolting the carrier at the tailend of the lathe. Then it should slide off the end of the lathe bed (if the gear rack allows).

Regarding the chuck, if it is a bolt on type you might be able to chuck up a piece of shaft, perhaps 3/4 or 1 inch diameter, and use a rubber mallet and grab the shaft and wiggle while asisting with a few taps from the mallet. Be sure and remember to place a piece of board beneath the chuck to cover and protect the ways so when the chuck pops off it does not damage the bed.

Sorry, but I cannot tell enough from the pictures to provide more details and I hope you can understand what I'm trying to describe.

Good Luck!

Hi Fronek...just the one chuck and no faceplate insight....Taken in the advice re chuck removal.. I was able to download the jet 1024 manual which according to Mr. Wilson looks exactly the same... So far it sure seems the same machine with a different logo.

The Jet manaul states that It is a screw chuck. The instruction is to insert the chuck wrench at top center, lock the spindle and to pull, and if required tap the base of the chuck key with mallet.
So I'll do that tomorrow.

I think now with THREE guys moving it and the power gate it'll get done as safely as I can afford. I will remove anything that is vulnerable to the truck walls.

Not a suprise with the extra guy the movers have increased the price to $200... Still.... Just want it home in the same condition... so it has been scheduled for tomorrow night. I can barely wait to see it gracing the large tidy space I made for it all :thinking perhaps a mill drill right next to it?

Giorgio, I don't believe I'd bother removing the chuck. If it's never been off, it might not be as easy as the manual makes it sound, for one thing, and no larger than it is, it won't really make a significant difference in the weight or handling of the machine.

On the other hand, every lever, every knob, every handle that I could get off, I would. That's the stuff that suffers during a move. It doesn't have to be dropped, just bumped against something immovable, and you're now looking for a replacement or making one. Most of the ones that stick out very far will be fairly easy to take off, and will be worth it.

Thanks you and YES sirs...as many levers and knobs as i can get off I will take off ... I was on that track, nice to have it confirmed that it’s not just MY paranoia about movers.

Attached is a pic of the lathe bolted to a wooden bench... you can see that it just SITTING on a dolly and that will be removed once on and in the truck. The plan is to shuffle it down the walkways onto the lift and into the truck where bench and lathe will be strapped to a corner of the truck walls. The trip is less than 10 miles on decent city streets. These guys move pianos which weight about the same and most upright pianos are on castors... I am uneasy as the lathe is top heavy but expect it will go well...then shuffle it up my two steps into the shop and it’s done... except for the fun!

note he sure did a good job of cleaning her up from the first pics
again thank you...all you guys have been most generous with your comments and expertise...I feel like I fell into a bucket of luck joining this forum.

IMG_4640.JPG IMG_4645.JPG

The instruction is to insert the chuck wrench at top center, lock the spindle and to pull, and if required tap the base of the chuck key with mallet.

Giorgio, despite what the manual says I would NOT be using a mallet on the chuck key! In fact I am surprised it actually says that. Recommended chuck removal is usually by putting a piece of timber across the jaws and using that as a lever, although sometimes necessary to add some additional encouragement:)

Cheers Phil

Thats a nice lathe and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I do recommend you consider getting a BXA size QCTP (quick change tool post) as it will make tool changes and centerline placement so much easier.

Check out http://www.cdcotools.com/ item numbers 68568 or 29462, these are decent for the price and the extra tool holders are cheap.

Good Luck!

You did good at $600. And +1 on the QCTP. And get as many holders as you can. Never have enough.

Check out http://www.cdcotools.com/ item numbers 68568 or 29462, these are decent for the price and the extra tool holders are cheap.

Thanks NX, the prices are much more reasonable than our local shop.... The 68568 is more expensive than the 29462 but still almost half of what I'd pay locally... If you don't mind what's the diff between the two?

Gulf India Oscar,

The more expensive one is a wedge type and the cheaper one is a piston type. Most claim the wedge type hold better, or perhaps cinch up tighter with no tendancy to move the holder. Personally I have the piston type and it works just fine for me. The great thing about these types of toolpost is the ease and speed at which you can change tools and leave the tools set at the correct height, as Tony mentioned earlier you can never have too many tool holders and for the money at $9.00 each for the BXA size these are hard to beat.

Right guys...QCTP is on the list... along with a few others goodiesto be determined.

First i gotta figure out what i actually have now that the move is done and i have it in the shop. I am exhausted. Put the lathe parts back on and try to make a missing handle; The first metal lathe project!

Btw I inserted a length of aluminum square stock into the chuck key slot and gave it two taps... taps not blows and she budged... the rest was easy....the aluminum did not even bend...you were all right, it isn’t THAT heavy that it made a diff to handling BUT those guys suffered due to the heat and the lack of uniformity in weight distribution. Top heavy and back heavy they struggled, and I worried.:panic:

All the knobs and levers came off and nothing seems damaged. The movers were ok after the panic wore off about the unevenness of the weight. I could not relax till they left and I checked the most vulnerable points.

The seller also gave me a large pile of scraps. I will post a few pics of things that look like they belong to the lathe that do not make sense yet.

Thanks!
G

Back