buying first lathe... opinions on TIDA TD4a

Tell him the backlash is horrible (which it isn't), offer $400, pay $550 and get it home. What is the power requirement, 220 or 110?

I see nothing wrong with the little amount of backlash shown in the pictures and would not let that bother me in the least. I'd ask the gentleman what his rock bottom price is and take it at that. You can strip the lathe and basically leave only the headstock mounted to the bed and remove everything else if need be to lighten it up enough to facilitate the moving. The tailstock, carriage, apron, motor, leadscrew, even the gears can come off fairly easily. That way you can also give it a complete once over and cleaning and lubrication when you get it back home. Heck you might even want to consider a paint job and then make all of us fellow forum members envious!!!!

Good Luck on your lathe procurement!

My Hercus has 47 thou backlash on the crossfeed screw and I'm not planning to scrap it. As mentioned, proper technique works around that. There are no zero-backlash manual lathes in existence, so everyone has to use the same technique.

Check the adjustment of the gears. If gears are pushed into each other too tight, they can make a fearful noise.

Re: buying first lathe... opinions on TIDA TD4a...getting closer!

thank you kindly....really appreciate the help you all have extended here...

I will make my offer to the man soon.... here are some of the other pics and info.

• So if i need some new gears where in heck do ya get em? make em!?!!! seems amibitious...gear pic attached
  • to move it ...take it apart and reassemble at home with lube and love. (takes pics)
  • 14.4 amps at 110
  • comes with Follow rest and Steady rest
  • a bunch of HSS cutters and a couple of carbide cutters
  • one polish made chuck that comes with reversable jaws and i think its 8 inch
  • manual and parts list

AND anyone know what that knob does in the pic labled knob? It is not in the manual

Thanks again ... must admit christmas like excitement :))

thread chart.jpg chuck from poland.jpg gears.jpg knob.JPG spindle speeds.jpg TD4A specs.JPG

The backlash is fine. There knob on your apron is different from my Jet 1024,but I suppose when you click the rotary lever into longitudinal or cross feed,you pull the knob out to make whichever motion you selected to get into gear.

The knob engages power feeds with a neutral. Note the words on the band around the 3 holes.
Joe

Thank you all
The seller agreed to $600. :thumbsup: I am off to consummate the deal and take some more pics.
Movers said they’d move it for $150…but I am still going to disassemble the obvious parts and save the cash if possible.
You guys have been great… I will do what I can to make it pretty and send follow up pics

Ciao for now
Gio

Take ALL the pieces you can get loose. Movers lose stuff. I'd even take the tailstock off. Tell them to be careful to not crash into the handles and knobs. They are good at forklift accidents,too.

When I moved my big mill, it cost $150 for the truck, $150 for the fuel, $150 for one of the forklifts, so you're getting off easy. Like George says take all you can home. For one thing, it starts making it sink in that you've acquired something.

Update: Purchased!! Re: buying first lathe... opinions on TIDA TD4a

Done! Paid in full and I have all the easiest stuff off and in my shop...tail stock, follow rest steady rest, all the bits and pieces and a few quirky looking parts that were/are part of the machine based on the paint colour but no idea where they go yet ...and the manual and the parts list...

The chuck is on with a handful of Allen screws... I'll get those off but I have read that the chuck needs some "persuasion" I'm not a fan of hitting machinery without knowing how hard and where.

Do I stick the chuck wrench in the chuck and give it a tap to loosen it? Or?

I take it the chuck is on a taper not screwed on like a wood lathe. The parts list and manual make no mention of it

I'd like to take the carriage off too...is it a matter of a few fasteners? Or does that lead screw and shaft have to come off first? The manual makes little reference and is a bit sparse for newbies.

it should be home by Thursday...$150 is great if it lands in my shop without incident... cant wait but i will.

Last edited:
Back