Buying a woodworking combination machine

I agree. The unfortunate thing is the space required to house the beast. I have a double bay car garage that I share for wood working and metal working. If I had the space I would buy it immediately. The ability to spool up or down with the turn of a pot is such a neat feature!!

Both machines are made by Stenbergs so you can see the pedigree and the similarity between them. Oh to have a bigger garage / shed :headache:

Paul.

Well, you could use the bigger machine to mill the lumber to build a bigger shop :)

garages are that in name only, at least for me! :roflmao:

neither of our cars can fit in our 2 bay garage!

garages are that in name only, at least for me! :roflmao:

neither of our cars can fit in our 2 bay garage!

Wait, I think you don't have a garage, you have a large walk-in basement with roll-up doors :roflmao:

Samthedog, you have a business decision to make here. I've had my own woodworking business and managed one for someone else. The machine looks substantial enough to do the work you want to sell to standards your customers will expect, but will it do it economically?

The machine you are looking at has capabilities in the shaper and mortiser that you say you don't need. If so, it would be bad business to pay for them. The seller will need to accept a lower price from you than he would get from someone who needs the whole machine.

More important, will the parts you don't need get in the way at all? If you plan on selling your time for doing value added machining in the wood industry, be aware it is a business with tight margins. You are building in a lower wage rate for yourself if the added equipment slows you down even in the least.

In my part of the world, the forest produces yellow birch which shows the flame figure you talk about. It's showy but difficult to surface. I think the Tersa insert heads are straight knife inserts. I would run some of the wood you plan to use part the cutterhead if you haven't already done that to make sure they will work well on the interlocked grain. People here prefer true spiral heads, spiral pattern insert heads, or (as a last resort) straight heads with a steeper cutting angle when surfacing woods with that type of grain to get acceptable yield without tearout.

Best of luck.

Samthedog, you have a business decision to make here. I've had my own woodworking business and managed one for someone else. The machine looks substantial enough to do the work you want to sell to standards your customers will expect, but will it do it economically?

The machine you are looking at has capabilities in the shaper and mortiser that you say you don't need. If so, it would be bad business to pay for them. The seller will need to accept a lower price from you than he would get from someone who needs the whole machine.

More important, will the parts you don't need get in the way at all? If you plan on selling your time for doing value added machining in the wood industry, be aware it is a business with tight margins. You are building in a lower wage rate for yourself if the added equipment slows you down even in the least.

In my part of the world, the forest produces yellow birch which shows the flame figure you talk about. It's showy but difficult to surface. I think the Tersa insert heads are straight knife inserts. I would run some of the wood you plan to use part the cutterhead if you haven't already done that to make sure they will work well on the interlocked grain. People here prefer true spiral heads, spiral pattern insert heads, or (as a last resort) straight heads with a steeper cutting angle when surfacing woods with that type of grain to get acceptable yield without tearout.

Best of luck.

Hello John, I have been thinking about this in pretty much the same way as you. I am only upgrading because the sale of my hobby machines has generated enough profit for me to look into upgrading without breaking the bank. Any time I buy machines, I ensure I buy cheap enough to resell at a profit later. This is why I find it painful to part with such large wads of cash. Your comments regarding a spiral planer head are on the money. The only issue is that machines of this type are well beyond my budget.

I am hesitant to start processing serious amounts of wood on hobby machines. The business part of this all is a side venture to generate enough play money for miscellaneous equipment and is not a serious money spinner. As such though, I have been wondering if I can get away with just a decent table saw and a planer - thicknesser. I saw a Wadkin AGS 10 for sale online this morning and jumped at it. Pics below:

3602494505.jpg
3632386959.jpg

Although it's a little saw, it is very solid and came with a sliding table. It is in decent condition but it does need the fence to be upgraded as the standard fence is a flimsy thing, and the gear that acts on the slide's rack for the fence is stripped. Other than that it just needs some make up to have her looking pretty again.

It was a long drive but these little machines normally sell very fast because of their small footprint. Luckily the gent misspelled it and called it a Wafkin - hence the lack of hits on his add. I ended up parting with $780 for the saw and close to $900 in total when fuel, ferry and tolls were factored into it. It seems very expensive but one of these saws with a sliding table and mechanically sound is a rare beast in these parts. Most of these little Wadkin saws have issues with the trunion or bearings. This machine checked out in the major mechanical areas and all lifting, tilting and sliding worked very smooth.

I'll update with pictures tomorrow.

Paul.

3602494505.jpg 3632386959.jpg

That's a very cute little saw, way more machine than the saw portion of the combo you were looking at. It may well outlive you. Wadkin was never big in the US. I used to see more of them up in Canada when I got up that way. They seemed very solid, but those were larger factory machines. That and a jointer/planer and you've in business.

Alright gents, I have the machine home and unloaded. I have spent some time going over it and have identified some things that need attention. There is a handwheel that is cracked on 2 of the 3 spokes. No big deal - I know an excellent welder who will fix that and after grinding down and painting no-one will ever know. The major annoyance is the fence. It is a flimsy, warped pressed steel thing. I am thinking of using some extruded aluminium with T slots for the fence and keeping the other hardware the same.

I did spend about an hour with a scotch brite pad and WD40. I also have some abrasive pads of varying grit that are less aggresive than sand paper. I worked on the table and then waxed it.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

Optimized-P3100306.JPG

The table moves very smoothly after a quick clean and wipe-down. I will still remove it to change the bearings when it's paint time.
Optimized-P3100313.JPG

The picture below shows damage to the table from blade tilt. This is cosmetic but still a bit annoying.
Optimized-P3100310(1).JPG

As you can see there is no blade isnert, just a small gap. The table can be moved out to accomodate dado blades.
Optimized-P3100311.JPG

Someone made a custom cabinet to house the motor and have a dust extraction port. It is quite well made and I will be keeping this - just repainting to suit the rest of the cabinet.
Optimized-P3100318.JPG

This is a guard that came with it. There is also a mounting bracket but the cabinet / dust chute means the bracket will need some adjustment.
Optimized-P3100308.JPG

The next mission is to try find a suitable paint. Apparently "Wadkin Green" is no longer made by Hammerite. I am not even sure I can get something close. So anyway, that's it for now.

Paul.

Optimized-P3100306.JPG Optimized-P3100310(1).JPG Optimized-P3100311.JPG Optimized-P3100313.JPG Optimized-P3100318.JPG Optimized-P3100308.JPG

Well, the plot thickens. The gent selling the combination machine sent me an email, offering to waive the taxes.

What to do? I can always sell the Wadkin but it is a fantastic little saw. If I stick with the Wadkin, I need to find a decent industrial planer/thicknesser.

Any thoughts guys? I bought the Wadkin because I thought the gent was wasting my time and it came up for such a good price.

Paul.

Back