Buying a Used Mill Online

I would not by any used equipment with out looking at it first. Used equipment can run the gamut from being like new to scrap iron. Age or brand is secondary. If it's too far away to look at maybe someone hear could take a look at it for you.

I would not by any used equipment with out looking at it first. Used equipment can run the gamut from being like new to scrap iron. Age or brand is secondary. If it's too far away to look at maybe someone hear could take a look at it for you.
Couldn't agree more, there are tons of used mills available in this part of the country and I would not hesitate to buy a used one at all but sight unseen is a huge risk, before making any decision, I need to see the machine in person and do a few simple tests like inserting a small drill rod in the chuck and check for the run out, I also need to talk to the seller and gauge his responses , you can't get much information online other that what is staged to look a certain way , the reason for selling can also be tailored for a quick sale.

I have to agree with what had been said about buying a mill unseen. Back when I was looking for a bigger mill I looked at a lot of mills, I mean allot of mills, Birdgeports, ENCO, Tree, Wells Index, Clausing, and a few imports. I found everything from bad spindle bearing, high/low range not working, worn out lead screws, bent tables and one poor Bridgeport that must have sat in the rain uncovered for years with all three axis rusted fast, and the guy saying "It was just surface rust" and "a little WD-40 would fix things right up".

In my experience, It is okay to buy machinery on eBay, sight unseen. IF the seller offers a money back guarantee AND you are going to pick up the machine in person. This way, if the machine is junk, you can back out of the deal. Yes, you are risking some time and perhaps a truck or trailer rental but you can get some very good deals. I have successfully bought 2 Lathes this way. Before buying, communicate with the seller, ask many questions and make it clear that if the machine is not as described, you will want a refund. That should give you a pretty good idea of whom you are dealing with.

In my experience, It is okay to buy machinery on eBay, sight unseen.
I agree. In addition to what Eddyde said, I would add that when the price you pay represents a sufficient discount from the going rate you balance the risk of sight unseen buying; for harder to find machines like a MillRite, it can be worth it.

Let me add one super important factor in buying a used mill: "reading the room". What I mean by this is -and we are all looking for best value by buying used - that you should listen to your 'spidey senses' in the ad, the telephone conversations, and during the mill check out.

Lots of guys know there is a demand for a deal and so try to unload worthless mills at higher prices because *to some* price is also an indicator of quality. This is absolutely NOT true - I've bought a brand-new-condition BP clone for 2K$ 8 yrs old (In a market where they are 11K new) and walked away from $3000 BP clone that was so bad that their next appropriate destination was the smelter.

So if you think anything is hinky, don't bother - another mill will come along.

In my very early days, someone stole my 'dream mill away from me by impersonating me (he had heard of me through a friend of the seller) and it discouraged me for a few years. I wish I had someone to tell me that another deal will crop up, just be patient.

Thank you everyone for sharing their wisdom! I will keep searching.

Back