Buying a Used Mill Online

Tonaven

Registered
Registered
Greetings! New member here first post.

I am searching for a mid sized (bigger than a bench mill but smaller than a Bridgeport) used mill. This would be my first piece of metal working machinery, although I have purchased, used, and reconditioned used vintage woodworking machinery and vehicles in the past. So I have some small mechanical aptitude anyways.

I've scoured Craigslist, FB Marketplace and Kijiji locally and will continue to do so. But it seems likely that I will buy via ebay or from a dealer website, and in that case I will probably not be able to inspect the machine personally.

General stuff like which mill I should buy, the specs on the machine, previous use and ownership, damaged/missing/loose items, options, tooling included, power requirements, etc I can cover.

What I would like to get some advice on, and I am sure this has been asked many times before, is what should I look for / ask the seller in order to determine if the mill can be used as is or if it is need of major rework? I'm thinking wear on the ways, excessive backlash, things of that nature?

Thanks!

Dan

Focus your attention on the mill head and spindle is my advice. Beware of buying a machine without seeing it in person.
Most used machines will have wear. Spending more will often get a less worn machine but not always.
-Mark

Thanks Mark!

So you are thinking things like run out in the spindle, and how smoothly it moves up and down? Wear on the head itself I'm having a harder time figuring out what to look for there.

Agree that a used machine will have wear. Trying to put together a list of questions to ask to hlep filter out the really bad ones, and also hoping to not sound like a total naive bumpkin!

Dan

I have a Millrite that is a well made machine, somewhat smaller than a Bridgeport but has done whatever I wanted to do since having it. They are quality machines, USA made, solidly made and built to last. I get good results with the Millrite, solid and clean cutting. It seems just right for an all around mill in a hobby shop that will have a wide range of parts to cut. They are only sold used, look for one that has been well taken care of...

Thanks Bob,

The Millrite was on my radar, it's in the range although a bit larger/heavier than the Rockwells or Clausings. Any tips on what to look for on a used one?

Dan

@Tonaven you have 4 or 5 used machinery dealers on your area (Richmond, so sorta close) so those you can surely visit. You also have more available used machines that people in Alberta have access to. The key is patience, and not settling for a project machine, but being ready with cash once the right one comes along.

Thanks Dabbler,

I have checked out several of the RIchmond dealers' websites as well as the gov't surplus sites that are local but have not seen anything of interest to me, at least not yet. I will dig a bit deeper for more local machinery dealers, and keep them all on my radar. Also keeping an eye out in Seattle Portland Spokane areas.

For sure if it can be purchased locally it is a big advantage for inspection and transport.

I will be vigilant and patient!

We've also got some guys in the area who are machinists - they are a great resource for finding machines.

Spindle bearings and worn spline shafts are things to watch out for. The former you can usually get a good idea from the sound and roughness. The latter is harder to evaluate without disassembly which is usually not possible before purchase. Listen for clattering noises when running, that's a clue.
There is less to go wrong with step pulley mill heads compared to the vari-speed designs, so there's that too. The vari-speeds can be difficult and costly to rebuild, but the mid size mills are usually step pulley drives, fortunately
My dream mill? A lightly used round ram Bridgeport with a short table like 36" or 32" and a step pulley head that nods- for under a grand
:)

Last edited:
When looking online, watch for machines that have had an aerosol rebuild. This is where they claim a recent rebuild and all it got was a coat of paint. These can be spotted because the paint is perfect with no stains, chips, scratches or other signs of normal use. If you find one and can not see it in person, don't walk away RUN.

Back