Burgmaster Turret Drill Press

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Picked this up yesterday for a great price. It's in excellent condition considering it works perfect & does not have any missing or damaged parts. Only thing wrong with it is a worn power cord & 1 missing chuck. I plan to put a tapping head on it anyway. Some of these actually came with tapping heads, Burgmaster labeled Tapmatics.

The way it works is only the spindle facing down rotates when powered on, at the end of the return stroke, the turret automatically changes to the next spindle. One of those pre NC machines. Pretty cool & I had to have it. Made here in Los Angeles. I plan on restoring it but I'll see how it looks cosmetically after I clean here up. I will be going through all the mechanicals though.

20140921_202410.jpg

20140921_184138.jpg

20140921_184133.jpg

To see one in action check out this video by Tom Lipton. Looks like I got the same one he has.

20140921_202410.jpg

20140921_184138.jpg

20140921_184133.jpg

that's pretty damn funky! I can see where that would be really useful, even on an occasional basis. Need to tap a hole? Spot>drill>tap>countersink>beer. I'm guessing that the table is the base and you raise/ lower the head accordingly?

Oh man, that's awesome. You officially own the coolest drill press I have ever seen. That has gone to the top of my list of things I absolutely can't do without. :whistle: It's a long list but I can wait as I have no need for anything on the list. :dunno:

Cheers
Shawn

I would give just about anything to own one of those. It has been on my want list for ages. Very nice score.

"Billy G"

Oh great, another incredible tool I can't live without. What am I going to tell my wife? Nice score. :greenwithenvy:
Dave

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Both my OB's have tapping heads. Do not buy a manual, you can download it for free. Google Burgmaster ob manual and it's the first link on the list.

And ecdez, once my new shop is completed and my machines are set back up, you are more than welcome to come use any one of my three!

And ecdez, once my new shop is completed and my machines are set back up, you are more than welcome to come use any one of my three!

Now THAT is a tool gloat right there! :roflmao:

I'm gonna take you up on that. Not to use though but I will be more than willing to come over and drool on them.

Thanks everyone!

Spot>drill>tap>countersink>beer. I'm guessing that the table is the base and you raise/ lower the head accordingly?

Oh, I didn't think about that, I like the beer part! Yes the table is the base & the power switch on on the front center of the base so I'll definitely be using it on a tabletop. I'll probably add another base plate to it for fixturing, etc.

Definitely not a replacement for a drill press because of the limited drill capacity (1/4" I believe) & speeds (2 speeds but each spindle are also geared differently) but I love this thing I definitely don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Both my OB's have tapping heads. Do not buy a manual, you can download it for free. Google Burgmaster ob manual and it's the first link on the list.

Thanks. Yup, I downloaded the manual from Keith Rucker's (?) site last night {vintagemachinery.org). I would almost never buy a manual unless I absolutely needed too & haven't yet. I didn't even realize they were sold. Searching on Burgmaster I am curious about their story & might buy the book someday. Next time I'm in Gardena I'm going to look up their old address & drive buy to see what the building looked like if it's still there & what it is now.

Back