Burgmaster Turret Drill Press

The place where I picked the Bergie up was very interesting. I won't bore you with my experience but it used to be a full blown manufacturing machine shop for the aerospace industry before CNC took over. Sad to see it so empty & the spots where so many machines used to be.

One worth mentioning was this huuuge Pratt & Whitney jig borer. First thing I thought was how the hell did they get it in there. Asked & the guy said they built the room around it. That thing is in mint condition, even all the covers looked brand new. Said it was purchased specifically to make some type of helicopter part. Very sad to see it just sitting there with the thought of being scraped. The mother wants it out, the son (who I dealt with, his grandfather's old shop) would rather just keep it to see it go to the wrong place.

Said he was only asking $1500 for it but no bites on it! Now that's a heck of a steal but there's a very small market for it. It would cost much more than that to have it removed & transported to it's new location. I hope it does go to the right people. C'mon, someone here go grab it!

20140921_182539.jpg

20140921_182603.jpg

20140921_182714.jpg

On my way to pick up the Bergie yesterday I thought about a CL ad I saw. Called him up & they still had what I was looking at so I stopped by. Wasn't worth the trip go so far for only this but was worth it as I was passing by. All I really wanted was the Eagle oiler & the price I paid was worth it for the oiler alone.

Most of the small stuff are just novelty item but that tiny little square I might actually use. :lmao: The most interesting thing is the hand operated bench mount grinder! Turn with one hand & grind with the other? Or have a buddy power it for you? Hmm mabye I should look for a hand operated drill just to make a set.

IMG_9914.jpg

20140921_182539.jpg

20140921_182603.jpg

20140921_182714.jpg

IMG_9914.jpg

Oh, I didn't think about that, I like the beer part! Yes the table is the base & the power switch on on the front center of the base so I'll definitely be using it on a tabletop. I'll probably add another base plate to it for fixturing, etc.

Definitely not a replacement for a drill press because of the limited drill capacity (1/4" I believe) & speeds (2 speeds but each spindle are also geared differently) but I love this thing I definitely don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

I'm full of good ideas, me :) Why the limited capacity? Whoa whoa whoa - each spindle can go a different speed? That would make my head hurt trying to figure it out. Crazy stuff!

As for the monster jig borer, post it up on PM, they go nuts about anything that is so large it has to have a room built around. Tis the true measure of a man. However, you'll probably be peed on from a great height for the PSA as most likely you will then allow hordes of jig borer afficionados to scoop someone who was hoping to get it for a steal :D

I'm full of good ideas, me :) Why the limited capacity? Whoa whoa whoa - each spindle can go a different speed? That would make my head hurt trying to figure it out. Crazy stuff!

As for the monster jig borer, post it up on PM, they go nuts about anything that is so large it has to have a room built around. Tis the true measure of a man. However, you'll probably be peed on from a great height for the PSA as most likely you will then allow hordes of jig borer afficionados to scoop someone who was hoping to get it for a steal :D

:rofl:

Not too sure yet, have to do more research. I read that it's not recommended for larger than 1/4" drills because of the turret size? Or maybe because of the motor's HP? I have seen spindle adapters for 3/8" chucks. I may make one to try along with spindle extensions. This was one their smaller if not smallest models. I'll figure out each of the spindle speeds with my optical tachometer.

As for the monster jig borer, I won't be posting on PM. It may pop up on CL or ebay.

Said he was only asking $1500 for it but no bites on it! Now that's a heck of a steal but there's a very small market for it. It would cost much more than that to have it removed & transported to it's new location. I hope it does go to the right people. C'mon, someone here go grab it!

20140921_182539.jpg

There are two CNC mills close to me at a similar size and price and the seller's can't move them for the same reason. Too expensive to move and limited market.

20140921_182539.jpg

:rofl:

Not too sure yet, have to do more research. I read that it's not recommended for larger than 1/4" drills because of the turret size? Or maybe because of the motor's HP? I have seen spindle adapters for 3/8" chucks. I may make one to try along with spindle extensions. This was one their smaller if not smallest models. I'll figure out each of the spindle speeds with my optical tachometer.

As for the monster jig borer, I won't be posting on PM. It may pop up on CL or ebay.

Interesting.

Yep, I won't be posting on PM Any time soon either :) not that i have any thing to offer that they would be interested in. i got into an argument with a guy on hsm once about their habit of vigorously policing the forum there..

Bill,too bad I didn't know you wanted one. I could have bought several of those at a used machinery dealer in Richmond. I don't know the cost,but several turned up. I had no need for a production machine like those.

Bill,too bad I didn't know you wanted one. I could have bought several of those at a used machinery dealer in Richmond. I don't know the cost,but several turned up. I had no need for a production machine like those.

Was this at Dempsey's?

Yes,it was Dempsey's. No telling what he'd have wanted for any of those Bergies. The price probably depended upon what he paid for it. I have gotten incredible bargains from him,and on the other hand have seen him ask more than retail for stuff.

Back