Built A New Atlas Stand

So I took the extra bracket off and it seems that I can hang the motor off the adjustment bolt...will this put too much strain on that? Should there be some support under the motor?uploadfromtaptalk1447530465426.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447530513123.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Looking at your stand, I'd be concerned that the legs don't extend far enough to the rear. That's a pretty large motor and countershaft assembly, and it looks like it's already well behind the rear feet of the stand ... might try to tip the whole shootin' match over backwards. Are you planning to secure the legs to the floor?

As for supporting the motor ... most of its weight will be supported by the V-belt going to the countershaft. The pivot shaft keeps the motor parallel. It looks like it will be stout enough. This is, after all, how the lathe was set up originally, isn't it?

Thanks for that observation. honestly I did not think about bolting it to the floor or about it tipping. I have put alot of horizontal force on the table and it will not even lift the front legs off the ground..will try again once I make the bracket and weld it all together...I am going off pictures in old manuals that I have found as to how it mounts and functions. I have never seen this one or an original atlas lathe in person in operation. This one was in pieces when I bought it sitting on the ground.

You might consider putting a couple of 2"x6" or 2"x8" planks under the legs. It would help dampen vibrations and make the whole thing more stable.

I would definitely put a shelf on the horizontal supports for the legs. It would be a good place to store extra chucks, etc. and add weight to the whole thing.

I do have a picture of the Atlas 10" lathe that I sold showing the countershaft and pulleys:

1 head stock.jpg

I also used an Atlas countershaft assembly to mount a motor on a horizontal mill that was originally set up for an overhead shaft. The only bracing I used was a 2"x4" to bolt it to. The wooden tent peg keeps the motor from moving too much due to vibration.

Garvin mill.jpg

Thank you for the Pics...Yeah a shelf is almost inevitable, as soon as the cross bracing was in. I was like " how am i going to do the shelf that will fit perfectly here"...LOL...Might do metal might do woord... I like the wood under the legs idea that might just be the ticket once i fire this thing up. Currently without the lathe the metal stand weighs about 200#...I still have finish welding and the motor mount to make. I laid out a piece of 1/4 " plate which should add another 10# or so by itself. Going to try and replicate the basic design of the original just to give it some nostalgia. hopefully have this up and running in another day or 2.

Hey all got the motor and countershaft mounted as well as getting the drum switch wired...haven't turned any metal on it yet but still got some finishing touches to do on the stand

uploadfromtaptalk1449047271370.jpg

It does have a little chip pan under it very hard to see in the pic. I was thinking about going bigger depending on how far all the chips start flying...I am also working on some type of dampening under the legs..but appreciate the info

Back