Building One Of These! Stand Alone Tool Chest

How do boot dryers work?
Doesn't seem to be a fan.
Never had one apart.

Daryl
MN

To help with moisture issues requires addressing the dew point. Water vapor does not cause rust, liquid water does. Relative humidity: it is relative to the temperature and the amount of water in the air. Dewpoint: The temperature at which water vapor condenses into liquid water. If you want to stop condensation (and rust), you need to raise the temperature and/or lower the amount of water in the air. A dehumidifier or silica gel works at taking the water out of the air. A heater raises the temperature. Either one or both will work, by getting the dew point of the air near the tools lower than the minimum ambient temperature. A light bulb is as good as a pipe heater, which is as good as any other resistive heating method. You can heat or dry the entire shop or just where the tools are stored. The only thing that matters here is raising the temp and/or lowering the water content of the air. Treating and/or shielding the metal so protect it from the moisture can also be useful, but is another topic altogether.

Or, move to a drier climate...

I was thinking of a gun safe heater but I'll have to check into it and see how hot they get. It's wood after all. My biggest concern is fire. As far as keeping the entire shop one temp, it's a glorified pole building that's a bit to drafty. although possible, not really cost effective at this point.

My aged SMAW (arc welding) rod heater takes incandescent bulbs.
They are getting more difficult to find.
If you go the bulb route be sure that you can get new bulbs!
And how do you know if the bulb burns out?

Daryl
MN

Daryl, I like your idea of modifying a boot dryer. Mine is indispensable at times. It puts out enough heat to dry my boots overnight without making them uncomfortably warm to put on in the morning. I just looked at mine, it is rated 36 watts at 120 VAC, but it also has a warning on it that the boots should be in place before plugging in to power, though I don't know why. Math works out to a 400 ohm resistor. All you would need would be a 50 watt 400 ohm wire wound resistor in the bottom, just make sure that fresh air can get in at the bottom. Enough warm air would leak out around the drawers to provide adequate air flow. That 150 watt pad heater that I mentioned earlier would probably get too hot.

Gun safe heaters are low temperature. I have one. After all, some people store ammunition and even black powder in their gun safes. Boot heaters come from the same company, but the shape of the goldenrod looks like it would be easier to hide in your chest.
Also, the two in the Midway ad I linked above are the same form factor, but $9 less expensive than the eBay link posted.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

I'd be concerned that such a heater might only be safe to use if it's got good thermal contact with a tank full of liquid ... might overheat if it's in free air???

:DJust wire the tube filaments to a 6 volt supply and, voila heat.:D
YEAH!!! And if you wire the other pins correctly, you might even have a free radio to keep yourself entertained while you work.

Back