Building One Of These! Stand Alone Tool Chest

Finster

Registered
Registered
Saw this on e-bay. I need a machinist chest so I'm going to build something similar. It appeals to my wood working and metal working. I'm not really going "steam punk" but something of this design. Here is my problem. Maybe someone on here can give me an idea? I have everything in an unheated shop except for my wood burner when I'm working in it. Moisture is a real problem. I would like to make this chest heated, possibly with a small fan built into the back in order to keep moisture out and keep everything dry. Any thoughts on how to do this and not burn the shop down? Check this out, I think it's really cool:

s-l1600.jpg

I've never had a problem with tools rusting in the box as long as the drawers are kept closed. As for any ideas of how to build a heated wooden toolbox, I am currently at a loss, but might come up with something later.

Cool looking box... albeit a bit ornamental for my taste... Still very cool!

As to heated... some form of heated matt or wire in the bottom... seems like a way to produce just a little heat... enough to keep the temp of the tools high enough to avoid condensation on them.

If it were me... I would figure a way to keep the dew point under control in the whole shop... moisture does too much damage... :(

Might try a reptile heat rock in the bottom , I think they stay about 75-80* should have them at pet store.

another idea might be the heater wrap for pipes. something like this:
img1D1.jpg

img1D1.jpg

img1D1.jpg

img1D1.jpg

I've not tried it but I have herd that Moth balls will retard rust. I keep my shop heated to 45 or 50 . It most likely could be lower but it would take much longer to get up to comfort .

I was going to suggest the tank heater that looks similar to the heater Terry suggested, But the gun safe one seems good also.

.A small light bulb would do the trick, probably all you would need would be a single 71/2 watt Christmas bulb at the bottom.

Back