Building/modifying An Atlas Th42

I was getting a little tired of building the garage workshop and decided to mess it up today.

:)

I figured the atlas was a good a project as any. So I started building my DC motor control head.

The cycletrol is just way too big to mount anywhere accessible as my lathe cart has to stay sleek and moveable. So I removed the control face from the cycletrol unit and remote mounted it. The actual cycletrol unit will live down inside the cart itself.

Built a box to house it, slipped in a tachometer and left a space big enough to mount a reversing switch.

Pics:

IMG_20150329_180518_zpsvkajkflp.jpg

IMG_20150329_180528_zpsmwhoh9ew.jpg

I used the two existing back gear shaft "pillow block" bolts to mount it to the lathe:

IMG_20150329_181546_zps4sfjhifv.jpg

Its pretty solid, with just the tiniest bit of tremble in it when I give it a "smack" with the edge of my hand. Working the start/stop/jog switch is solid. A few more gussets will strengthen that little bit of vibration up just fine. Nothing worse than something vibrating while you're trying to use it. I like a rock solid feel.

That's still rough overall, having just ground the welds down and test fitted it. A little more metal work is required and then a coat of paint. The metal is the surplus from when I cut down the high shelf on the lathe cart.

I did make the case just a touch to big, but I suppose it can't hurt to have a little extra space for and unexpected switch or two in the future.

On the whole, I think its shaping up rather nicely.

(Pardon the rotten pics, my nexus has a crappy camera in it)

Last edited:
Since I have a nexus 7" tablet, I'm going to make up a DRO using it. Seems to be a good economical and accurate way around those little tiny, hard to read dials on my Atlas (my eyes still work, they just seem to have lost some "resolution" as I creep up in years).

Nothing earth shattering, I'll just use Yuryi's DRO for android program - http://www.yuriystoys.com/. No need to re-invent the wheel and the meat of the work is already done.

I've got an Ardurino on it's way and I'll find and affordable BT module for it. I'm no "master programmer", but it seems simple enough to get it up and running.

Then it's just a matter of the scales. That will be the biggest expenditure I'm thinking. Lots of time though, I'll just watch for a good deal to pop up.

I quick stand to hold my nexus when using it as a DRO and a "wall wart" plugged into the lathe cart's built in power bar and I'm good to go!

Last edited:
I've moved on an initial plan to install a DRO on the atlas.

As mentioned, the Arduino and Bluetooth module are on the way and Yuriy's android program is installed on my nexus 7.

I'm going to try and go the inexpensive route for the sensors.

So I've got two digital calipers on the way from ebay and I'm chasing down a source for the sensor strip in bulk lengths.

Once done, I should have a custom length DRO sensor. Resolution is .001, which is good enough for any work I would be doing.

Time will tell if I can pull it all together.

Argh!

Just missed out on an ebay auction for 4 DRO scales that would have fit my atlas.

They went for a good price, but more than I wanted to pay. I had myslef capped at 100 bucks, since exchange and shipping would have pushed that up closer to 200 CAD.

Oh well. Back to building scales vice buying them.

All I have left to get is the sensor strips from wixey anyways. Problem is getting them into Canada. Wixey doesn't ship and I'm having trouble getting Busy Bee (their authorized reseller in Canada) to order what I need.

But my whole setup will come in at less than half what I would have paid for the ebay scales alone so it's not all bad.....just have to get the sensor strips.

Last edited:
Sitting here thinking and reading forum posts has me formulating a new plan.

I believe I will try the treadmill motor for the lathe drive motor and controlled by the Danfoss Cycletrol.

That leaves me with the rest of the treadmill. I'm thinking I'll use the treadmill controller board to drive a 12V motor to power the leadscrew.

All the controls for the lathe and leadscrew drives will be fit into the control head I've made:

IMG_20150329_180528_zpsmwhoh9ew.jpg

I almost wish I had made it a touch bigger now.

The Cycletrol and the treadmill controller will both be mounted down inside the cabinet proper with only the controls in the upper panel.

My Nexus 7 will mount on a flip down arm (mounted to the control head box) to run Yuriy's DRO android program.

Probably use the little bit of extra space to mount a switch for the planned flexible light.

Great thing about all this so far is that the lathe will be very easily converted back to OEM if I ever decide to sell it off for something....."heavier".....:)

Did a bit more work cleaning and adjusting and started the back sheild:

IMG_20150405_205030_zpsqvlth91z.jpg

Couldn't figure why the aluminum was so hard to bend in the brake and then I realized I had grabbed a thin sheet of 7075.

It was also right about that time I started to hear a "craaack" from the sheet.....7075 isn't too "bend" freindly....:rolleyes:

Just won an auction for a Baldor CDP 3440 motor.

85 bucks. No too bad!

Specs:

90 V
.75 HP
Base Speed 1,750 rpm
Enclosure TEFC
Frame 56C

Link: http://www.baldor.com/catalog/CDP3440

Industrial quality, service parts readily available and should be a good match for the old atlas.

Should also work well with my Cycletrol 150 controller. The cycletrol is rated for up to 1 HP and 100 volts. The Baldor is .75HP and 90V. Sounds just about right. The 1750 RPM is the same as the speed as the current motor on the lathe and, IIRC, what the OEM Atlas motors were as well.

Like all things had at a bargain price, it's a little "distressed":

$_57.JPG

But it's represented to run fine and the cosmetics are an easy fix (would be looking to paint it anyways when the whole lathe is done). Brushes are only around 30 bucks a pop for replacements should they be appreciably worn. Still a good deal for what it is.

That just about sums it up for buying parts for the Lathe. All that's left is a QCTP and some assorted tooling.

The rest I should be able to make myself.

Last edited:
Back