Building/modifying An Atlas Th42

great white

Active User
Registered
Ive been digging around the local classifieds and have pretty much struck a deal for what appears to be an Atlas 10x36.

I'm starting a new thread for the Atlas, since my other thread is more about digging around for info on it when I found it on the classifieds. This thread will be for the purchase, return home and eventually: restoration and modifications.

A little background as to why I won't be able to buy it for another 21 days. I'm currently in Gander Newfoundland. I'm military (search and rescue) and posted here. In Feb, I'm posted to NS, where the lathe is located. I won't be able to buy it from the seller until then.

I have contacted him and he seems like a nice guy. Farmer, he bought the lathe to make parts and pieces for his implements. He no longer uses it, so he's selling it. Says he paid a grand for it 10 years ago. I'd rather spend 700-800, but will give him what he paid if the lathe is in good shape. They don't go for much less around these parts anyways. I know they go for less in parts of the USA, but that really makes no difference as they go for around a grand here. Supply and demand....

He doesn't have a lot of specific info about it, just general stuff. He's a farmer, not a machinist. It looks like a 10x36 and he says it's about 4 feet long. He was away from his shop, so he couldn't get me the end plate numbers, but his description seems to fit.

He thinks it came form a school or something as he says it has light wear and is in good condition. I guess I'll find out when I get the MK I eyeball and a couple straight edges on it....

It has a 3 jaw chuck, a 4 jaw chuck, an assortment of holders/cutters, a center rest, a box of change gears and a box of assorted bits he's not sure of. Dare I hope for the mill attachment? Nah......probably too much to hope for.

He didn't say he would hold it for me, but he did say he'll stop advertising it and call me first if someone else wants to buy it.

I asked if sending him a deposit was something he would want and he said he didn't want to take any money from me until I got to look at it. Seems honest enough.

In my experience, most farmers are pretty straight shooters and are trustworthy so I believe what he told me. But still to be confirmed when I look at it.

As I mentioned $1000 is a touch more than I wanted to spend, but if I went for a lathe from Busy Bee (about the only option to used around these parts) it would be around 800 after taxes.

And that would be an "Asian" 7x12 with no accessories.

The Atlas should be a 10x36 with several accessories for 200 more. The 4 jaw chuck would almost make up that difference. Chuck (pun!) in there's lots of advice/experience on the internet with the atlas/craftsman and it starts looking pretty good.

A 10x18 from busy bee would be 1400 before taxes, figure 1550 taxes in. This is the one that would be comparable to the Atlas, since both are listed as 18" between centers and 10" swing.

So, if all goes well I should have it in the new garage approx 20-21 Feb. I can't wait! I've wanted a lathe for a long time and never have found something that suits my needs and price bracket.

Here's some pictures from the add:

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

I'll snap a few pics when i get it home and carry on with the thread then.

So, assuming the atlas is in decent shape when I look at it, I think its a done deal. Even at a grand. They usually list/sell in the 700-1000 range in this area from what I've seen, so he's not right out to lunch compared with the local market.

:)

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

Last edited:
Nice, good luck..

Spent a long weekend in St. John's Newfoundland on TDY with the Air Force back in the 90's.. People were super nice. We had a blast.

Good choice, I'm in the west coast and machines are rare and prices are high compared to other places I have seen. Doesn't matter, it's a hobby for most if us so we pay what we can and make due with what we have. Let me know if you don't get the milling attachment, I might be able to help you out. Can I ask what your SAR position is?

Shawn

Good choice, I'm in the west coast and machines are rare and prices are high compared to other places I have seen. Doesn't matter, it's a hobby for most if us so we pay what we can and make due with what we have. Let me know if you don't get the milling attachment, I might be able to help you out. Can I ask what your SAR position is?

Shawn

CH149 Engineer.

I would appreciate any help you could give on grabbing a milling attachment if it's not in the box. I don't do much in the way of milling, but there are a few small projects here and there where it would be helpful.

Cheers

Last edited:
I see the Cormorants fly into our airport quite often, beautiful looking helicopter. What's it like to work on? Let me know when you get your lathe and if it comes with a milling attachement, if not we can work something out.

Cheers
Shawn

George,

Before 1948, the Atlas 10" came in four sizes.

10X18 36" Bed Length
10X24 42"
10X30 48"
10X36 54"

From 1948 through 1957 (when production ceased), they only sold 10X24 and 10X36.

This is according to US practice. The Brits would say 5" (distance from top of bed to spindle center) instead of 10" (diameter of largest piece you can swing over the ways).

The all-up length of a 10X36 is 58". If the farmer gets around to telling you what's on the nameplate, that will ID it. If it is actually a 10X36 (and from the one photo showing the whole thing, it could be) the model number will be TH54. "T" for Timken headstock bearings, "H" for horizontal countershaft, and 54 for 54" bed.

Robert D.

George,

Before 1948, the Atlas 10" came in four sizes.

10X18 36" Bed Length
10X24 42"
10X30 48"
10X36 54"

From 1948 through 1957 (when production ceased), they only sold 10X24 and 10X36.

This is according to US practice. The Brits would say 5" (distance from top of bed to spindle center) instead of 10" (diameter of largest piece you can swing over the ways).

The all-up length of a 10X36 is 58". If the farmer gets around to telling you what's on the nameplate, that will ID it. If it is actually a 10X36 (and from the one photo showing the whole thing, it could be) the model number will be TH54. "T" for Timken headstock bearings, "H" for horizontal countershaft, and 54 for 54" bed.

Robert D.

Cool. As long as I can turn longer than 12-14" (about the longest I'll ever need for motorcycle axles) and approx 6" diameter, it will work fine for me.

By the looks of those specs, even the "smallest" would work for my needs.

As mentioned, he said IRS about 4 feet long, so it could either be the 36 or the 42 depending on how good his eye is for distance.

I'm already thinking about cabinets, covers, accessories, "upgrades" and restoration for it.

Found a very nice roll around stand/cabinet that a gent on the yahoo group built. Would be a nice easy weekend project with the welder and table saw....

Got a call from the gent last night. Seems he's changed his mind and is going to hold it for me.

He said a guy looked at it and wouldn't go over 750. I'm closer to his asking price so he's going to say it's sold with only the final haggling to be done.

Even if I pay his 1000 (and the lathe is in decent shape), I'm OK with that. He's holding g it and taking the advertising down so it only seems fair. Its only a couple hundred over what I wanted to pay, so its not that big of a deal to me.

Was talking to the guy today and he's still holding it. I told him I can probably pick it up on the 16th and he was good with that.

He said he's found a lot more pieces for it he even forgot he had, including a big square machined plate. I'm not sure what that could be but I'll see when I get there.

He also says he's got the original manual for it, just has to dig it out of the attic.

Sounds like the deal is going well so far!

Back