Building Harold Hall's Simple Grinding Rest

Glad you tamed that wheel. I think your guard has adequate coverage. If you put any more guarding in place, you wouldn't have room left to grind.

Have you had the chance to grind some HSS with that wheel yet? You're in for a treat!

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, was too busy trying to get it to run smooth but I plan to as soon as I find some time. I have another small upgrade in mind so I might start on that first before using it...rabbit holes I tell ya! :cussing:

As for the guard, my original one covers 1" of the 1.5" already... I can't cover the sides on this one either since this is a cup wheel and I'll be grinding on the side so I'm thinking of leaving it as is or may be fab some sort of a half guard?

Well, it's your face and eyes so you be the judge. Look at the wheel and current guard and get your face down close like it would be while performing a touchy grind. What do you think would happen if the wheel exploded? Feel safe? If so, don't worry about it.

Ted

Way to make a point and point taken! :eagerness: To be honest I don't like anything spinning at high RPM near my body and sure as heck don't want a piece of rock hitting me in my face if it explodes. However, the conundrum is how do you cover the wheel without impeding access? Even in Harold's design he covers just the top of the wheel, it's open on the sides.

However, the conundrum is how do you cover the wheel without impeding access? Even in Harold's design he covers just the top of the wheel, it's open on the sides.

Maybe this is where a face shield or at the very least a pair of safety glasses would prove to be beneficial invest to keep handy in the shop!

You might get some ideas on how to make one by looking at some pictures of tool and cutter grinders. I know you already have the original to work off, but you might be able to design an extension what serves the purpose. When I got my KO Lee T&C grinder it came with no guards so I made this one. A partial guard that I can position depending on where/how/what I will be grinding and where my face will be.

IMG_20181224_131601.jpg

Maybe you can remove the original one and make your own? Or maybe you can incorporate an extension off the existing one that you can position where and how you need it? Look at some pictures and I bet you'll come up with a good idea or two.

Ted

So I messed around with the grinding rest last night since I need the practice to get comfortable, I'm finding setting all the various angles a bit of a pain but hopefully as I develop my own system it'll get better with time. For example, setting the distance quickly from the grinder to the table without disturbing the angles I already set aka...order of operation is important.

Anyway, I found an old flat head screwdriver with a chipped end, so I grinded the end flat and then the side tapers...came out fairly even. As for the surface finish I'd say it hasn't improved a whole lot with the new wheel but there's improvement. I think if I use the front section of the wheel I get more irregularities and that's probably because of the vibration/buzzing of the grinder itself. Generally speaking if I skirt the corner of the wheel's edge the finish is better. Again, I just need more seat time to know what works what doesn't.

1570814823193.png

1570814772020.png

Attachments

• 1570814711215.png
    1570814711215.png
    716.1 KB · Views: 10
BTW, for those reading this now or in the future and are interested in making something like this, I happened to come across this kit made by someone in Australia (check their website for pricing). It looks pretty neat. Not sure if this will sharpen slitting saws and other tools but probably can be adapted with a couple of accessories?

I thought I'd report back with what I tried to pull off a quarter grind with. I didn't think it all the way through. Not low enough on the wheel. It will be easy to make a low mount that replaces the upper blue arm, so I'll try that.
129cebe684ac034038f737845e0e5e3e.jpg

I thought I'd report back with what I tried to pull off a quarter grind with. I didn't think it all the way through. Not low enough on the wheel. It will be easy to make a low mount that replaces the upper blue arm, so I'll try that.

Can you flip the dovetail holder around so the knob is where the tool/part is, then rotate the blue arm 90 degs so the part/tool you're making is the only thing that touches the wheel?

Back