Building an RC Pulse Jet Powed Airplane.

I was thinking about issues with the graphic, Since this is an aircraft there is no weight budget for that many coats of clear, it would just be to much weight. I was hoping to just have one coat of clear and be done.

Dont forget you will be wetsanding and leaving about 75% of it on the floor! Plus you dont need to do as many or go as thick on the coats but i do understand on a plane every gram of weight counts and I was just offering a way to make things easier if you were to have that type of issue but im sure you will be fine in the end.
If it helps I believe the glue used on the graphics was the main contributing factor to the off-gassing but ive also heard of different vinyls causing cratering problems but that could be something used on the product like a release agent more so then the vinyl itself.

Last edited:
I clear coated over graphics once and once only. Major pain to sand the clear coat to a shine. Clear coat then graphics. Here's the plane that I clear coated the graphics.

By76552.jpg

Congrats on building the world's fastest lawn dart ;>) Remember, those things were banned because they were too dangerous when hand-launched; just think of a lawn dart coming back home at 250 MPH! We boys do love our toys.

jack vines

I understand the theory of most of the clear coat ending up on the floor. I have neither the skill nor pacients for that much sanding. That is why there are a lot of dings dents and bumps still visible that will show in the final clear. I have no artistic talent whatsoever, nothing I ever make ends up "pretty" under close inspection.

Oh yea it can make a heck of a lawn dart if things go haywire. I will have a number of safety protocols in place for the first flights, including multiple methods of shutting things down. I also have the mind set of intentionally crashing it in a safe place (I have done it before) before I will let it get away.

Last edited:
And now for the drum roll please................,...,

The pics of the paint job you have been waiting for......................

This was the first time the sun came out since I painted it.

It looks good as long as you don't look closely at it anywhere.
The camera did not capture the metal flake in the red very well, that part looks better in person.

20191207_131312C.jpg

20191207_131218C.jpg

20191207_131301C.jpg

20191207_131354C.jpg

20191207_131249C.jpg

20191207_131235C.jpg

20191207_131312C.jpg

At 200mph the paint doesn't have to be perfect.

This is my theory too.

That's gonna be quick! Probably have a nasty stall, too.

I briefly had a Dyna-Jet engine back given to me in the 1970s. I designed a twin boom R/C model for it, but never built it. Never got the engine to start, either, eventually gave it to somebody else.

Most guys used Ford Model T ignition coils to start them... they have a built in vibrator to make a continuous spark. Once it's running and hot, it keeps going without spark.

Well my bar of titanium to remake all the motor mounts has arrived. 16mm x 300mm. It only took about a month to get here. Now for some experimenting to learn how to cut it........

Back