Brown & Sharpe Tool Makers Universal Vise Help

Thanks, I was not aware of that, I always heard don't use carb cleaner or brake cleaner if you ever intend on welding.

And what I posted below, I had read b4.. So not Freon.. Freon is inert..

Freon is a trade name (trademarked) which many people attach to all refrigerants which is incorrect in too many ways to mention. R-12 & R-22, (aka Freon 12 & 22) dichlorodifluoromethane and chlorodifluoromethane respectively which were/are common in many refrigeration systems, were also uses as propellants in aerosols, therein the phosgene gas posioning.

Last edited:
Ok, my bad, I always put Carb Cleaner and brake cleaner in the same category. So it's brake cleaner that could get you in serious trouble.

Ok, my bad, I always put Carb Cleaner and brake cleaner in the same category. So it's brake cleaner that could get you in serious trouble.
I use any aerosol with caution and for it's intent but I'm not sure about brake cleaner hazards. There are many things that have changed in brakes, brake parts and cleaners, but the propellants have change in all aerosols when it comes to HCFC's. I suggested the carb cleaner for the vise because most brands cut through varnish and petrochemical residue.

Thanks for the input guys. I am convinced that the 3 screws need to come out. I removed the axle that the angle base pivots on and their was nothing there holding the angle base to the vise. I think the round vise pivot must be tapered to hold it tight against the angle table. When I open the slot by wedging a screw driver into it I am able to lift the vise about 0.030". As soon as I remove the screw driver, it sucks the vise back snug to the angle base.

I did try an impact screw driver that you bang on with a hmmer. No luck yet. I'm not sure any of the PB blaster is getting down where it needs to be. I'll keep at it.

I own both sizes of these vices and have had both apart; the screws are right handed, and the way to remove them is to get a screwdriver the full width of the slot, and carefully grind the tip for a perfect fit in the screw head, then while exerting maximum pressure downward on the screw, turn the screwdriver with an adjustable wrench to exert maximum torque on the screw. They should break loose without too much effort. The part they hold in is tapered smaller at the face of the vice and is keyed onto its mating member and also has pins locating it in line with the key.
These vices will hold up to fairly heavy cuts if the braces are used to their maximum advantage, that is, keeping them as straight to each other as possible and the tie bolt as far inwards as possible. I doube that most Hobby Machinists could seriously challenge their ridgidity.

I own both sizes of these vices and have had both apart; the screws are right handed, and the way to remove them is to get a screwdriver the full width of the slot, and carefully grind the tip for a perfect fit in the screw head, then while exerting maximum pressure downward on the screw, turn the screwdriver with an adjustable wrench to exert maximum torque on the screw. They should break loose without too much effort. The part they hold in is tapered smaller at the face of the vice and is keyed onto its mating member and also has pins locating it in line with the key.
These vices will hold up to fairly heavy cuts if the braces are used to their maximum advantage, that is, keeping them as straight to each other as possible and the tie bolt as far inwards as possible. I doube that most Hobby Machinists could seriously challenge their ridgidity.
Thank you. That is the confirmation I was looking for. And thanks for the tip on breaking them loose.

The screwdriver that's commonly called hollow ground isn't commonly found in a big box store. Gunsmithing screwdrivers are hollow ground but you can probably take a tapered blade and hollow grind it to fit what's described. Klein and Greenlee make the hollow ground style "Electrician's Screwdriver." This type of fit doesn't ride up out of the slot when you torque on it.

The screwdriver that's commonly called hollow ground isn't commonly found in a big box store. Gunsmithing screwdrivers are hollow ground but you can probably take a tapered blade and hollow grind it to fit what's described. Klein and Greenlee make the hollow ground style "Electrician's Screwdriver." This type of fit doesn't ride up out of the slot when you torque on it.
What I use is a screwdriver commonly called a machinist's screwdriver; they are forged steel with a squared shank and wooden half handles riveted on ( a "knife handle" screwdriver) these were common perhaps 70 years ago before the wide use of socket head screws (Allen head), when older machinery was commonly held together by slotted head screws. Another feature is that they can be struck on the end to loosen stuck screws. I have several of them and commonly regrind the business end to closely fit the recalcitrant screw that I'm fighting with at the time.

I picked up a Brown & Sharpe Tool Makers Universal Vise recently. I want to disassemble it to clean it up. I am stuck and could use some guidance. Here is the Vise.
BSToolmakersvise.png

I removed the swivel Base and bracing levers.
BSViseSwivelBase.jpg

That leaves the Vise connected to the angle base.
BSViseNoBase.jpg

I would like to remove the vise from the angle base, but I'm not sure how. Below is a picture of the Vise upside down with the angle base open. In addition to the swivel base, the vise also swivels on the angle base. I removed the locking bolt and I stuck a screw driver in the slit to spread the hole on the angle base thinking that I could pull the vise out. Spreading the slot allows the vise to lift about .030", but that's it. I'm not sure why. Next I tried to loosen the three slotted cap screws on the round pivet block that protrudes through the angle base and seem to connect it to the vise, but they do not budge. I assume they are standard right hand threads. I don't want to break anything.

BSViseOpen.jpg

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Greg
I was just looking at your upside down picture.
I think that big round washer with those three screws in it . Is not a washer . I think it is a nut
I can see to spanner wrench holes in it . If you have a spanner wrench try take if out those three screws and unsrewing that big nut . You might have to make a wrench if you don't have one

Back