Brown & Sharpe Tool Makers Universal Vise Help

If you have an impact driver, the hammer hits may help loosen the bolts.
Also heat is your friend when trying to remove parts. Try to heat the outter split housing, and don't heat the hub.
I actually tried an impact driver. It broke the tip off the driver bit. That's when I wondered if the threads could possible be left handed.

But seriously, I have used heat a number of times to loosen things. As long as you are not getting it red hot.. you are trying to expand it, or loosen the rust.
I agree but not used wisely or without knowledge it can cause more harm than good. Anything above 300°-400° is close to trespassing and should be avoided.

I actually tried an impact driver. It broke the tip off the driver bit. That's when I wondered if the threads could possible be left handed.
This isn't a brute force job which I think you know. Allow the penetrating fluid to work and you will prevail. Bob stated it well, and the additives in the oils that were used when the vice was in use became a varnish like superglue. Carburetor and choke cleaner with the ATF work well also.

Try to avoid carb cleaner. Acetone ok. If you ever need welding you can kill someone with phosgene gas from the carb cleaner. The same way cast iron will hold oil, it will hold onto the cleaner.

Try to avoid carb cleaner. Acetone ok. If you ever need welding you can kill someone with phosgene gas from the carb cleaner. The same way cast iron will hold oil, it will hold onto the cleaner.
Naptha, tolulene, xylene do not create phosgene gas, it was the propellants that were used, such as R-12, R-22 which cause the phosgene gas problem and these are no longer used.

Edit; I'm not implying the chemicals I mentioned are propellants, they are the main ingredients (or a mix) in carb cleaner. Propane and other refrigerants are used as propellants, along with CO2 but they do not create phosgene gas when heated.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was not aware of that, I always heard don't use carb cleaner or brake cleaner if you ever intend on welding.

And what I posted below, I had read b4.. So not Freon.. Freon is inert..

Last edited:
A little quick research and no.. that's not totally true.
https://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/phosgene/basics/facts.asp

• Phosgene can be formed when chlorinated hydrocarbon compounds are exposed to high temperatures. Chlorinated hydrocarbon compounds are substances sometimes used or created in industry that contain the elements chlorine, hydrogen, and carbon.
  • The vapors of chlorinated solvents exposed to high temperatures have been known to produce phosgene. Chlorinated solvents are chlorine-containing chemicals that are typically used in industrial processes to dissolve or clean other materials, such as in paint stripping, metal cleaning, and dry cleaning.
From: http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

"After reading about Hydrogen Chloride and then started researching phosgene. The chemical in the brake cleaner is Tetrachloroethylene. When this chemical is exposed with excessive heat and argon (used in MIG and TIG welding) it also produces phosgene."

A little quick research and no.. that's not totally true.
I'm pretty sure I stated carb or choke cleaner. All the chemicals I noted may be in carburetor cleaner, in combination or single. I'm aware phosgene is used in many manufacturing processes and the likelyhood of a product being used to remove gunk, rust, etc. and still remain on the vice to cause side affects are slim, slim, and next to none. Remember it wasn't I who suggested firing up the torch. :grin:
I have roots based in HVAC and HVAC repair/service so I am aware of the hazards of phosgene and in most of the cases the posioning was caused by poor safety procedures. i.e. Failure to insure all the refrigerant had been evacuated from the system, or to cheap to do a nitrogen purge.

Back