Brought Home 20" Walker Turner

Yeah, I didn't pay attention. Definitely loosen the screws! Lesson: Read. Read everything. Read it again.

How shaky is the spindle?
WT bearings are proprietary and this looks like a late 40's model. There's a place in CT that specializes in WT parts and rebuilding including motors. They may have parts. They've reverse engineered a lot of parts themselves.

This will be a nice restoration project.

That chuck is definitely not original but if it's in good condition, a very nice chuck. If you do take the motor apart replace the bearings while you have it apart. They won't cost much and you will have done 95% of the work anyway. Be VERY careful removing the pulley. They are rare, expensive and easy to break. It is probably attached with Allen head set screw(s). When you remove the visible set screw make sure there is not another set screw under the first. Do not use any type of hammer to get the pulley off. Typically I would use a bearing separator** to remove a pulley but that probably won't work with the large diameter outside pulley. The pulley is worth more than the motor so be careful!

** OTC makes an attachment (OTC 679) specifically for pulleys which would be even better than a bearing separator , some day I would like to get one but I haven't been able to justify the price yet. In this case I don't know if that would be big enough anyway.

How shaky is the spindle?
It seems pretty solid, but I haven't tested it under power on material. What's the place in CT?

That chuck is definitely not original but if it's in good condition, a very nice chuck. If you do take the motor apart replace the bearings while you have it apart. They won't cost much and you will have done 95% of the work anyway. Be VERY careful removing the pulley. They are rare, expensive and easy to break.

It seems like it's in nice shape, no rust or anything like that and it opens nice and smooth. The jaws are clean and solid. As for the motor and pulley, that's why I'm concerned about dismantling anything. We'll see.

RFQ: Walker Turner 900 Series DP

Although we do sell the bearings separately - we do suggest customers to send us the pulley for bearing replacement if the bearings are very tight, to avoid breaking the pulley. We can also service the spindle bearings. Replacement new spindle bearings require either the use of Lock-Tite 680 retention fluid on the bore, or an alternate procedure to band the spindle shaft with one light coat of automotive primer at the bearing interface location. Instructions are provided with purchase of bearings.

WE also provide full Walker Turner electric motor rebuild and restoration to new condition.

P/N 70702 Bearing - Extended Inner race (for pulley).............................$23.87 ea

P/N 6202-625EER Bearing - Spindle.....................................................$ 8.50 ea

S&H USA..............................................................................................$ 6.50

______________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________

Quotation below is for service Remove & Replacement of bearings. You may leave your chuck installed on spindle when shipping quill/spindle assy. If you would like it removed, please note this with your delivery. If you are sending both pulley and spindle for service, pls use the Return S&H for spindle only. If you would like the old bearings returned - please note as well.

Service DDP-6N Pulley R&R bearings incl bearings......................................$ 78.00
Return Shipping USPS USA.........................................................................$ 15.00

Service DDP57XX Spindle Quill Assembly R&R brgs included.....................$ 65.00
Return Shipping USPS USA.........................................................................$ 18.00

We accept check, MO or Credit Card. If you would like to pay by Credit Card, we will send you an e-payment invoice via PayPal (PayPal account not required).

Walker Turner Serviced Machinery LLC
PO Box 666
Coventry, CT 06238

WALKER TURNER SERVICED MACHINERY LLC
COVENTRY CONNECTICUT - USA

I would do a complete restoration on this fine USA made vintage machine.
They just don't make'em like that anymore. I'm looking to buy a 900 WT myself.

I'm hoping to do a restoration as soon as I've got the money. It'll be fantastic to have in the shop, and a family heirloom.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an Albrecht style chuck- awfully nice! You may want to keep your eyes peeled for a keyed chuck for someday, but you will like that one!
So your bottom bearing for your table mechanism moved easily for you? Mine didn't! But with some heart-wrenching tapping with a hammer I raised it up to a useful height.
It's a beast!! Make sure you fasten workpieces to the table well if you push it's limits!!

Congrats man!! Love it!! Great pics!

Bernie

Back