Brought Home 20" Walker Turner

Mr.Haines

Registered
Registered
Hey there folks! Some of you haven't seen my first posting from Wednesday, so if you'd like to read the (less than exciting) intro to the purchase if this drill press, click the link directly below. Otherwise, continue on to the pictures and whatnot!

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/bringing-home-a-beast-my-new-drill-press.35247/#post-299050

Alrighty, so I've got myself a big, beautiful beasty of a drill press. Maybe you've all got larger machines, but I'm used to a cordless Dewalt, so this thing is monstrous to me! The machine was just purchased in Connecticut for $350. I'm alright with the price, I think it's not too bad based on the prices for drill presses that I've been looking at on lovely old Craigslist. Sadly, I'd budgeted only $300, but that's my problem.

_DSC0868.jpg _DSC0887.jpg _DSC0888.jpg _DSC0890.jpg _DSC0891.jpg _DSC0892.jpg _DSC0898.jpg _DSC0899.jpg _DSC0900.jpg _DSC0902.jpg _DSC0904.jpg _DSC0905.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It posted before I was finished! It also seems that the pictures are on there twice. Moderators, feel free to delete the post or thread and I can re-post things properly! Anyway, I guess you can all just look at the machine and ask any questions you'd like. I'll throw up some more info after I get some sleep.

(I have the motor, it runs nicely but was detached for moving. There's also a chuck, I haven't checked if it is the original.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kyle,

Congratulations
That's some heavy iron you got there!

Did you get a 5-step motor pulley too? If not it might be hard to find...I don't think I've ever seen one.
Maybe you could come up with some sort of up/down sliding motor mount so that even a 3-step motor pulley could have the belt reach any spindle pulley step. That way you could maximize the speed ranges available.

Are the t-slots in the base meant for bolting down work pieces?
Funny there's none in the table.....

I also like the object you used to provide an idea of scale......maybe that could become a new standard?

-brino

update: You already responded about the motor(and hopefully pulley) before I hit "post reply".

I saw a similar press online, there was some sort of simple frame with casters attached using those channels. Ingenious!

The pulley is there, the one on the motor is in similar shape to the set in the photographs.

My scale comparison was... Handy. There weren't any soda cans in the house! I vote that the fine beverage depicted above becomes the new standard by which to measure drill press and other heavy machinery. Just, don't measure and drive. Or operate heavy machinery. Measure responsibly.

nice score, i bought mine from a retired machinist several years ago for $600 and have no regrets.
it has the automatic down feed and original Walker Turner motor.
good luck with your new drill press.
oh by the way, rumor has it that the square design of the bottle is such that it has less chance of rolling out of ones reach ;)

P1010464.JPG P1010463.JPG

That's a bit bigger than the 900 you talked about in the other thread!

That's a bit bigger than the 900 you talked about in the other thread!

I guess so! I had to take her off the trailer on my own, I thought I'd burst something!

Right now I have her sprayed down with WD40 in anticipation of a preliminary cleaning. We'll see what sort of issues and whatnot are hiding under the heavy gunk, and she'll be a bit prettier! Photos of that later on.

The drill press, which has been named Martha, received a little bit of cleaning today. My goal was to get it ready for regular use, I also wanted to more clearly see if there were any issues that might make it harder to restore the piece in the future. (That's a goal for down the road.) First I sprayed the whole thing, minus switch and motor, with WD40 and let it set for a couple of hours. After that, I scrubbed everything I could get into with a plastic bristled brush and then a knockoff Scotch-Brite pad. There isn't any really dramatic change, it's is just slightly easier to see the original paint, or at least the last layer.

_DSC0866.jpg

_DSC0874.jpg _DSC0875.jpg
The biggest change was in the table mechanism. Yesterday it wouldn't raise or lower without a massive fight and the table tried just as hard to not swing side to side. Now it moves beautifully. The issue I am having is that I don't know how to raise the whole mechanism up so the table can be higher up on the post. I'm going to get an alan wrench to match the screws and see if loosening them helps.

_DSC0885.jpg _DSC0883.jpg _DSC0892.jpg _DSC0890.jpg
Before purchasing the motor and switch were attached, but they were removed for transport. Today I test-fit the switch setup and peeked at the electrical. I'm going to rewire this thing, it looks pretty simple and the current wiring is less than awesome. The ground prong is even clipped off of the cord. The motor looks alright, I'm going to debate looking inside and giving it a light cleaning, but I've never done anything like that. Might be a mistake.

_DSC0894.jpg I don't know if the chuck that came with Martha is original, I doubt it. One thing that concerns me is the lack of a chuck key. This is hand-tighten only. I'm definitely going to buy a new chuck at some point. (New as in: old.)

Raise the table and lock it in place. Then loosen the rack attachment and raise it using the pinion gear as if you were moving the table upwards. When the rack is in a suitable location, resecure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raise the table and lock it in place. Then loosen the rack attachment and raise it using the pinion gear as if you were moving the table upwards. When the rack is in a suitable location, resecure it.

Soooooooo simple!!! Thanks Mike!

Back