Brought Home 20" Walker Turner

Matt, it really is wonderful to be that guy. Someone needs help, something fixed or built, I love it when they come to me. My dream is to build or make everything possible that my family will use. Thrown pottery for the plates, bowls and mugs, blown glass cups, hand cast cutlery, stained glass windows, nice wooden toys. I would particularly love to build the bed that my (future) wife and I share, as well as a loving cup for my own wedding and those of my children. One special little plan I have is to build a beautiful solid dining room table that is approximately one inch too large to be removed from the dining room without destroying the table or the house. It's a bit stupid, but I want that one legacy left of how much of a jerk I can be. There's no glossing over it, I'm a nut sometimes. It'll be a good story for my great-grandkids. Like the family tale of how my great-grandfather once threw a burning Christmas tree out of an apartment building in New York City. Only, less silly and more evil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still haven't had a good chance to get the motor onto Martha, but I did a little work a few nights ago and I've got some new photos for you guys.

Cleaned out much of the old grease from the table mechanism's gearbox. The stuff was nasty, but not as nasty as what itsme_bernie found in his machine's gearbox. _DSC0865.jpg _DSC0866.jpg

I was disappointed to realize that the handle to lock the table in place is missing - it hadn't occurred to me until I saw the handle on a similar machine that itsme_bernie recently bought. _DSC0870.jpg

Were the heads sometimes geared up for raising and lowering like the tables? I've got this hole under a plate on the body of the head. Also, I think we finally know what the original paint color was.
_DSC0871.jpg

My Martha has had some work done, not just painting. There's an old weld on the table were a hunk got cracked off. It isn't the best weld job I've seen, but I'm glad there isn't just a piece missing from the lip of the table. Also, the spring knob-thing chipped or cracked at one point, it has a large mound of welding.

_DSC0869.jpg

Future goals include finding a replacement handle and cleaning up or replacing the spring cover.

Hope we can get the motor on soon!

Yes- that mechanism was meant for either the head or the table. I think they saved money on the casting for the production, multi-head models that you see where the head goes up and down.

I will look at my handle later, and see what is turning what. I can't remember which was the male and female end of that tapered nut/cinching mechanism.
Gotta go- more later
Bernie

You've got a good project on hand,\I hope to have a WT this year.
Lot's of good ones here on the East coast. I'm looking at the 900 series bench top models.

I like the bench 900s, I'm going to keep an eye our for all of my smaller jobs. Also, they're purdy. And I really, really, really need one.
'Cause, you know, I need one. Because.

Tools. :)

Back