Broken Part

I am going to pick up a piece of C1118 and try making a new part using the milling attachment. Got some qualms about using a dovetail cutter as I am leery of the machine's sturdiness after breaking the compound rest tool holder.

It's certainly true that the Atlas machines aren't the heaviest on the planet. However, based on anecdotal evidence, where yours broke may be unusual. The usual place to break is the top of the T-slot. Although I have long suspected that the culprit here is at least partially using a poorly fitted or undersized T-nut.

I think that I would drill and bolt plates on both sides, at least two at the front and two at back preferably three on each side. This is quick and work as long as I would need it, the bolt size would be about 5/16". Good luck, my two bits. John

find a replacement on ebay unless you have the time and inclination to braze it.
for $189 you may even find a whole lathe on Craigslist for that price
good luck

I found the problem when I mounted the milling attachment and was able to rock it transversely...play in the gibs. I tightened up and the gibs and all seems well.

Before going into debt to buy a new one, I would attempt to braze it. I'm not a welder by any definition but I have brazed cast parts much like this on several occasions, and they all came out looking and working great.
A decent brazing job should be stronger than the cast part. Lots of flux and get the whole part hot before applying any rod.

CHuck the grumpy old guy
Agreed, a good braze repair is plenty strong, but I have yet to see any amateur who was capable of it; the fluxes that most companies tout for cast iron brazing are next to useless; I use Anti Borax EZ#3, and dope up the parts with silver soldering flux before starting to heat things up, this protects the surfaces from oxidation while the heating is done, then use the brazing flux when applying the brazing rod, which should wet out like silver solder.

I made one out of steel for my 10" years ago when mine broke similarly. It has worked problem free and was straitforward to make.

After hogging out some of the metal with a half inch drill I am now trying to mill out the center slot of the piece. I have to mill out a lot of metal and am using a half inch diameter end mill. It is not going well, as I can only make a 1/32" pass at a time. Any more and the milling attachment has the "fits." A Bridgeport it ain't.

Milling Job 001.JPG

Back