Broken Part

Ancora

Registered
Registered
I have an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe with a broken compound rest tool post slide. Clausing wants $187.96 for the part. Sounds steep to me. Have not seen it on Ebay yet. Any ideas?

Acme Lathe Part 001.JPG

You could attempt to braze it, if that option is available to you. Or. you could try machining a new one on the mill. The ball oiler can be had cheaper than a new piece from Clausing. If no mill or brazing option. Could be $187.96 is worth the cost.

You from Oceanside? I was born there but left when my father returned from Korea. Never been back.

Before going into debt to buy a new one, I would attempt to braze it. I'm not a welder by any definition but I have brazed cast parts much like this on several occasions, and they all came out looking and working great.
A decent brazing job should be stronger than the cast part. Lots of flux and get the whole part hot before applying any rod.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Make a new one in steel, that one has broken for a reason, looks like it is a bit weak in that area!
Phil

"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

Braze or weld, little will be lost in trying!

Spiral_Chips

Id'e go with the Brazeing groove it good support it make sure it is clean get it hot and brazeit.

Braze it and if you are uneasy about it keep looking for one on ebay while you are using the brazed part. At least you will have a working lathe while looking for another slide.

If you can't repair it, you could adapt another small lathe compound to it.

Welding will be tricky, not impossible IMO , because you will be joining the dove tail back together . I see compound parts all the time on the bay, rarely are they a bargain . Just keep looking one will come along .

If you braze it mill a piece of heavy steel to clamp it to. Mill a shallow groove across the piece to keep from brazing to it. Make sure the piece is F L A T to keep alignment. A side milled would be good to to push the dovetail edge up to. Place two small pieces of ground rod in the dove tail with a gap where braze joint would be and of sufficient diameter keep the edge away from the block. Two new drill bit shanks of the same size would work well with a function after the job. Clamp very securely the flux and braze.

Also just another note about price. 187 dollar is dirt cheap in the machinery world. Last monarch I worked on needed a 2.5 inch uhmw Geneva escapement wheel for the gear change mechanism. Pretty mundane part for the 995 dollars they charged.

Back