Broke a Tap

It happens...as a retire I still have access to EDM sinkers (naner, naner!) to burn out my blunders when bkn tap removers, picking and breaking, heating up the surrounding steel with a torch (yada, yada) don't work...Note: For small taps (6-32 down to about a #2), always drill around .004 to .005 bigger diameter than called for depending also on % of depth of thread you need (how hard you're gonna' crank on that screw)... and of course only a quarter to a half turn (or less!) before backing out to break that chip and keep blowing out those chips and I prefer using the old "watery" rapid tap (rather than some of the new "syrup") on small taped holes...and don't forget to put a small lead in (out? lol) on the back side of the hole too (too get rid of any break through burr left from the drill)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since tap is sticking out bottom gently tap it with a hammer as that will unseat it a bit.

Use a hand grinder to make flats so you can grab it with pliers.

Some oil will help if dripped in from bottom but keep tip dry.

If cannot grab it try gently offset turning it by placing very sharp punch on the side and tapping it to unscrew it and use multiple angles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Was that from power tapping? I've decided it's faster to hand tap then to remove broken taps or rebuild parts. I'll power tap the first couple of threads to make sure the tap is started straight then hand tap it with a ratchet the rest of the way. I break less that way. Power tapping seems like I only get 4 holes then they snap even if I'm doing the 5th one by hand. I will power them back out of a hole but that too seems to weaken them.

welcome to machining if you haven't broken a tap you have never tapped a hole bill
You also learn over the years your limits on pushing a tap, too. When to toss out a worn tap and what tapping fluid works the best, and using higher quality taps too! Among other things, new cuss words, a big respect to tapping holes. Ken

BTW-You sure can't beat an new old stock Card or Butterfield tap when you can find them! They seem to tolerate a little more stressing before snapping off compared to many of the newer ones today.

Back