Bringing home a new to me G0752Z

Didn't figure out ALL the weak points, but I'm glad that some of them were eliminated. The lathe is in the basement, and as far as I know so far, undamaged. My buddy showed up at 7pm (about 4 hours later than he'd promised) and said let's do it. I thought we would get to a logical stopping point like stopping on the bottom landing and finish it later. To his credit, he pushed me to get the whole job done.

Glad we had put in safety stops and things like that. Had some slips in the come-along that were checked/arrested by the safeties. Had a safety chain attached to the headstock, and a safety strap on the tailstock. Each one was put to the test. The come-along was attached to a chain though the tailstock casting. Fortunately everything worked as expected. Used a Y chain arrangement with 4x4 anchors on the doorways. Worked really well. For the lowering, everyone was on the topside. Have to say, I only have one picture of the process. Here is the lathe just starting the descent and the load is fully taken up by the come-along. After that, we were too darned busy trying to figure out how to do the next step safely. I had screwed in a piece of steel (with a radiused edge) to the plywood for the cable to run against. Was afraid of the cable eating through the plywood. Worked great. No damage to the cable, or the steel.
PXL_20211112_014236436.jpg
The hardest parts were removing the wheels from the trolley at the bottom landing, with the lathe still on the trolley, and swiveling the headstock off the trolley onto the stand. I wanted the lathe immobile on the landing. Why? The landing was not quite long enough to hold the whole lathe. Lathe trolley is 48", landing is ~36"L x 32"W. Distance to the back wall, at the bottom of the stairs, to the landing is 21". Just enough room to get in a small step stool. Without the wheels, but on the trolley, the lathe height was equal to the lathe stand height. This made it easier to just swivel over the lathe onto the stand. There was more grunt work than I had anticipated in that "just swivel it over". But little by little, managed to do it. Bolted the lathe to the stand and wheeled it over to the location.

We were at it until 1:30am. My buddy helped me clean up the doorways, the chain, the flooring and rehang the doors. No damage to the tile floor. Truly a good thing.

This morning woke up, despite only having slept 5-1/2 hours. Pretty sore, but still have a lot of cleanup. Here's the lathe roughly in position. Need to rehang the exterior storm door, that will be next.
PXL_20211112_150650168.jpg

Glad to see the lathe has made it to it's new home. As you said, sore muscles, and some work is yet needed to get everything re-assembled. But the worst of it should be over.

Glad to hear it went well and that your precautions paid off. The rest should be relatively stress free. Enjoy.

Installed the cross slide and compound today. Then the backsplash. Thought I'd get that out of the way, prior to leveling. Then guessed which cable was which for the DRO. Actually got it the first time. Plugged in the wall wart and saw the DRO's were running. Hmm, sort of. Cross slide doesn't work across the whole range. Works then skips a bit. Seems to be some crud on the tape underneath. I'll have to clean it. The x axis was fine, so happy for that.

Feeling perky, thought I would plug in the lathe and turn it on. Had wired in an Eaton GFCI on the 20A circuit. Most of you know what will happen.

Never heard a GFCI make a buzzing noise before! Really wasn't expecting it to work well, but was taken aback by the sound. The GFCI is fine, but the VFD trips it. Need to replace the outlet with a non-GFCI outlet, which I don't have at the moment. Tomorrow's work.

Yep, no GFCI on machine tools.

Glad to hear all your planning and prep paid off....

I always say, you move these things with your brain, not your muscles. Although inevitably you do end up using muscles too;)

John

Installed a non-GFCI outlet and it's alive! That's a relief.

Next is leveling. Not so sure I did the right thing, but I made (two weeks ago) some feet for the stand using hockey pucks. Turned them on my mini-lathe. Wondering if they will end up being too squishy. However, if I try to rock the stand, I can only get it to move 1 division on the level. Level is a Chinese one that has a sensitivity of 0.02mm/m, which if I did the math right, is equivalent to 0.0002"/10" (2E-5 unit/unit). Not sure if the rubber will cold flow under the load. I did notice that the level indication (towards and away from the operator) varies as the carriage is moved. The level is on 123 blocks on the ways and stationary. Has anyone seen this level variation before? Goes away when the lathe is actually level? (No twist.)

I just realized that I haven't publicly thanked @Flyinfool for his rigging ideas. So this post is to thank him for the Y-chain/cable rigging concept that worked great! Had no problems with the anchoring system in the doorways. No movement, no drama with the anchors.

Back