Bridgeport Series 1 Rebuild

Looks like a great machine for an equally great project. I picked up my old Bridgeport this March for $900 dollars and I'm replacing broken parts and doing the repairs it needs. As you mentioned in your video, Bridgeport's are fairly easy to work on and repair and most parts are available new from Hardinge (https://shophardinge.com/kneemillparts.aspx) if you can't find good used parts.

My Bridgeport series 1 stepped pulley J head was made in 1974, I wish my machine had chrome ways like the one you bought, but the ways are in fairly good shape for the work I'll be doing. Originally, my machine also had the same power feed, but it was removed from the machine long before I saved it from the scrap pile.

I'll be watching your repair/rebuild project, you're off to a very good start.
Roger
Everything for this machine can be found new. I typically get parts from a few places, but H&W Machine is my go-to. I consider it a little payback for all of the great videos they have published on YouTube about them. I also have a few machine rebuilders within 30 minutes of me if I needed something faster.

Honestly, I would probably ditch this Powerfeed if I was going to replace the lead screw, which I won't be doing at this point.

Looks like a worthy machine for a refresh. Those ways don't look bad at all!!

Nice video. Brings back a lot of memories! I think you're doing the right thing, tearing it totally down, cleaning and repairing. I did/do that with all my machines and I've got a few now. I've rebuilt 3 variable speed heads now and one step pulley. Only two base assemblies though...

On those metering valves; they are not cheap to replace. I've tried cleaning blocked ones by using brake cleaner, acetone, diesel, etc. But, my go to now is boiling them for around 45-60 minutes in water and a healthy supply of Dawn dish detergent. Works wonders! I suggest checking yours before reassembly to make sure none are blocked, because I've found on my equipment that there typically are one or two that don't flow. As you most likely know, there are numbered as to their flow rate so make sure if yours vary to get them back in their proper positions since flow can vary to the different locations.

Nice job! I wish mine had those nice chromed ways...
Ted

Nice video. Brings back a lot of memories! I think you're doing the right thing, tearing it totally down, cleaning and repairing. I did/do that with all my machines and I've got a few now. I've rebuilt 3 variable speed heads now and one step pulley. Only two base assemblies though...

I don't think I would ever buy and use another piece of older machinery (maybe even newer machinery) without doing a complete-ish teardown and rebuild. Firstly, these machines, by and large, are not that complex. Secondly, you might find something that could turn into being way more costly down the line. Lastly, I'll know the machine inside and out and should be able to diagnose any future issues.

Did the same thing with my lathe.

Great progress! That cleaned out nicely.

And you have been doing this with only an engine hoist?

I was looking at getting a gantry crane to do the same with my recently acquired milling machine. The engine hoist that I have seems to be a pita to use… the legs are not spaced well to get close… V shaped legs instead of straight and wide…

Great progress! That cleaned out nicely.

And you have been doing this with only an engine hoist?

I was looking at getting a gantry crane to do the same with my recently acquired milling machine. The engine hoist that I have seems to be a pita to use… the legs are not spaced well to get close… V shaped legs instead of straight and wide…
I wanted to build a Jib crane between the mill and the lathe that I could have used for some of this, but steel prices are stupid right now, so I am just using the hoist. I bet I could lift the entire mill with it without much effort.

This one I have (it's borrowed from a friend) is from Horrible Fright. The legs are also in a V, but are fairly wide.

I, and probably most others, use Mobil Vactra #2 way oil. This is the only thing I've ever used and use it on all the ways of all my machines. It's ISO #68 weight.

Nice job on the clean up and re-assembly. I wish my machines had those beautiful chrome ways your machine has. I know (from your pictures) that your table ways has some scoring. If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it one single bit... I'm sure it will be fine for our hobby use and even most production use.

Nice work and I hope your head is in as good of shape as what I've seen so far. The vari-speed heads have two sets of very thin Delrin bushings that you will most likely want to replace when you tear into it. H&W sells a nice kit for replacing these and is worth buying. If these get too thin, it will ruin the motor shaft and then you have a much bigger and more expensive repair on your hands.

Have you heard the head run? Is it fairly quite? These vari-speed heads will make more noise than the set pulley heads, especially in a quite home shop environment, but they shouldn't sound like a meat grinder either...

Ted

I, and probably most others, use Mobil Vactra #2 way oil. This is the only thing I've ever used and use it on all the ways of all my machines. It's ISO #68 weight.

Nice job on the clean up and re-assembly. I wish my machines had those beautiful chrome ways your machine has. I know (from your pictures) that your table ways has some scoring. If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it one single bit... I'm sure it will be fine for our hobby use and even most production use.

Nice work and I hope your head is in as good of shape as what I've seen so far. The vari-speed heads have two sets of very thin Delrin bushings that you will most likely want to replace when you tear into it. H&W sells a nice kit for replacing these and is worth buying. If these get too thin, it will ruin the motor shaft and then you have a much bigger and more expensive repair on your hands.

Have you heard the head run? Is it fairly quite? These vari-speed heads will make more noise than the set pulley heads, especially in a quite home shop environment, but they shouldn't sound like a meat grinder either...

Ted
The oil I purchased is also ISO 68. Brand names don't impress me. ;)

I have heard the motor run, but not the head. The head needs some minor work done to it yet. I am not that concerned. I got the thing really cheap, so even if I put $1K+ into it on parts, I still have a great deal on my hands.

Back