Bridgeport Series 1 Rebuild

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I acquired a Series 1 Bridgeport back in April that I knew needed quite a bit of work. I'm just about to begin the process of tearing it down, cleaning everything that can be cleaned, and fixing or replacing broken or missing parts. Still deciding on if it gets a paint job or not.

Here's a video I made of most of the issues of which I am currently aware. I am sure the tear down will uncover some other bits.

LOL , looking for a drill chuck ? :grin:

This site is priceless for the Bridgeport repair videos!

Let the journey begin!

Ted

Also, here's a good book that I picked up that is a great resource:

Ted
If I get stuck on something. But quite frankly, there is so much material on the interwebs, and considering these machines really aren't all that difficult to figure out, I probably won't need it.

I just watched the video... goodness :oops:... you have a lot of work to get that puppy back to life!

It is sure going to keep you busy for awhile. Looking forward to future videos.

Last edited:
I acquired a Series 1 Bridgeport back in April that I knew needed quite a bit of work. I'm just about to begin the process of tearing it down, cleaning everything that can be cleaned, and fixing or replacing broken or missing parts. Still deciding on if it gets a paint job or not.

Here's a video I made of most of the issues of which I am currently aware. I am sure the tear down will uncover some other bits.

Looks like a great machine for an equally great project. I picked up my old Bridgeport this March for $900 dollars and I'm replacing broken parts and doing the repairs it needs. As you mentioned in your video, Bridgeport's are fairly easy to work on and repair and most parts are available new from Hardinge (https://shophardinge.com/kneemillparts.aspx) if you can't find good used parts.

My Bridgeport series 1 stepped pulley J head was made in 1974, I wish my machine had chrome ways like the one you bought, but the ways are in fairly good shape for the work I'll be doing. Originally, my machine also had the same power feed, but it was removed from the machine long before I saved it from the scrap pile.

I'll be watching your repair/rebuild project, you're off to a very good start.
Roger

Back