Boring plate on an angle

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
Hi all, I have to drill/bore six two inch holes in 1/4" plate at a 22 degree angle. I am planning on clocking my brideport head at 22 degrees but I am not sure what method I should use for the holes. I was thinking of using a hole saw and going super slow with the lowest RPM it'll cut with my coolant mister blasting it...orrrrrrr do I drill a hole using the biggest drill I have which is probably 1" and then use a boring head to open it up the rest of the way? Please forgive my newbness. What would all you experienced guys do? Thank you.

its not super important. its for a cauldron style fire pit im making. The plate will hold the tripod tubing at that angle. Just want to get a close fit for welding is all. Its mild steel.

its not super important. its for a cauldron style fire pit im making. The plate will hold the tripod tubing at that angle. Just want to get a close fit for welding is all. Its mild steel.
For that I think you’re overthinking it.

Cut a piece of pipe at the desired angle and use that to trace your oblong holes onto the plate and cut them out.

They could even be a little big so you have some fudge room with your welding setup.

Hole saw should do fine. Take it easy until you get full engagement, then clear the chips frequently. You'll feel when it packs with chips, just don't be tempted to push past. You may find that the oblique cut helps clear the chips, though. Plenty of WD40! No need to use the centre drill, the mill is rigid enough and you'll run into issues trying to get the drill started at an angle.

Finish up with the boring bar if you want a nice finish and accuracy

I bet a commercial version would do something like this:

Weeder closeup.JPG

I cut the pipe with my bandsaw then welded it to the plate. In this case it was for an experimental weeding implement but would work just fine for what you want. Just don't cut the teeth :).

BTW that was my first attempt at stick welding. The result is ugly as sin but it seems to be holding up OK.

Cut the 2" diameter holes in the normal manner using a hole saw (or whatever).
Layout the ellipse as described above.
Use a cut-off wheel and/or angle grinder create the form required.

Thank you guys for the replies. The radius of the tubing is passing through the outside of the plate. I wanted to match the angle for welding. Im not welding the bottom of the tubing to the plate. I will try to draw something up later on fusion to show you guys what I mean.

Back