Boring Head To Large For Mill-drill

Playingwithmetal

Registered
Registered
Hey ,
I have once again come to a question that I nor Google can answer. So I turn to your advice one more time. I ended up getting a boring head from eBay. I never though I would win it but a week later the package showed up at my house. I placed a low bid and forgot about it. The pics were horrible on the add and there was no info written about and nothing for size reference. Any how it is a big boy. Must weight near 15 lbs. lol. It does however have a mt3 shank and 3/8"-16 drawbar threads. It does not have a brand or tool mark and I beleive it was shop made. It is very smooth and I know I got a great deal but obviously didn't realize how big it was. The body is 3" diameter. My 1979 jet mill drill has enough room for it but seems awkwardly enormous. The drawbar threads also fit. It has the space to fit but there may be more practical reasons why this is not a good choice but f a boring head. . I am considering either selling it back on eBay or buying a 3/4 inch set of boring bars.which is the size it takes. It also came with a fly cutter type attachment. What do you guys think?
Thanks
Dylan

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I do agree with you! It might be a little large for a mill/drill. On the other hand, I assume that your mill/drill also has a 3MT spindle. If that is the case, I see nothing wrong with giving it a try. You may have to keep your cuts rather light, but it should work if you take a proper approach and don't try to hog out material as though you had it mounted in a much larger mill.

I have a Clausing 8520 mill which really is no larger than most mill/drill machines. The head is all belt drive, much like the mill/drills. I have a two inch boring head that I use with it, and it even seems to look a little large for the machine, but it handles it quite well.

Hard to tell from small pics but I bet it's well made

It is very well made. Very tight tolerance and super smooth. I wonder if I will have to tram for head nod. Lol

I have a 3" boring head for my Jet mill/drill, and it works just fine. Like yours, mine has a MT3 shank. As long as you don't extent the cutter far enough to seriously imbalance the machine, everything works great. If you are working with a larger inside diameter, just keep the speed down.

GG

Thanks. That all appreciated advice. I am going to have to wait to try it out. I have to either get a set of 3/4" boring bars or find a adapter to accept 3/8 bars. I would be boring mostly small diameter holes so it seems like 3/4 inch boring bars are a bit large.

It may seem like overkill, but a rigid boring set-up is a good thing :D Getting a boring bar the correct length for the job you want to do is just as important. I bought a special indexable carbide boring bar that was relatively short, and it worked exceptionally well for me. No chatter, and smooth easy cutting.

GG

remember that with a boring head, you must set it up where you are tightening the lead screw, not loosening. Loosening is not accurate and if you go to far, the head can fly apart.

Back