Boring Bar Setup That I Can Use In My Mt#3 And My R8 Mills

motofool33

Registered
Registered
Hello i am looking to get a boring bar that i could use on either my mills or on my Lathe.

i cant find any adapters that go from MT3 to R8, but i can find r8 to MT3 but they are very long and you lose alot of z axis travel.

Is there a setup that has changeable tapers?

There are boring heads that have interchangeable shanks-I have one, for instance, that has MT3, R8 & B&S9 shanks. Another with MT4 and R8 shanks.

What do you want to do with the boring head on the lathe? It's probably just easier to hold a boring bar direct, on the toolpost, rather than try to use a boring head in the tailstock....or are you thinking of installing the boring head in the lathe spindle?

There are boring heads that have interchangeable shanks-I have one, for instance, that has MT3, R8 & B&S9 shanks. Another with MT4 and R8 shanks.

What do you want to do with the boring head on the lathe? It's probably just easier to hold a boring bar direct, on the toolpost, rather than try to use a boring head in the tailstock....or are you thinking of installing the boring head in the lathe spindle?
Looking to use it for making key ways possibly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Looking to use it for making key ways possibly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OK, well, my questions above still stand, i think.

How are you envisioning using the boring head? Easiest way is to grip the work in your lathe chuck, and use a boring bar on the toolpost to cut your keyway.

I still don't see why you need a boring head for that. The only thing I can envision is if you plan to mount he work on the cross-slide, and mount the boring head in the spindle or the tailstock. But even then, you wouldn't need the adjustability of a boring head.....

Well the one video i saw using a boring bar to cut a key way was being held by the tool holder.

i was just thinking of all scenarios if i had to reach deep down in something to bore it would be nice if i bought a setup that fit in the tailstock. but if thats not normal practice i can just buy a boring bar that doesn't fit i suppose.

right now i dont have a way to hold the boring bar in my tool post on the lathe either.

MT3 taper works in friction mode, whereas an R8 taper needs a drawbar. Because of this, I've never seen a MT3 to R8 adapter and most likely will never...just R8 to MT3

Just grind a tool, put it in the tool holder, and presto, you have turned your lathe into a shaper. Spindle locked, tool that cuts on the push stroke, and move the carriage back and forth manually while advancing the tool with the cross slide. Take about .001" per pass. Low tech, controllable, adaptable...

Edit: A modified HSS lathe tool works much better than a boring bar.

I apologize! But I still wish I could give it two thumbs up!

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Back