Bliss Punch Press Rebuild (kind Of)

OK, here's another question. I'm all for using 68 oil (especially since I have some already) but how does one get it in the grease fitting? To further confuse matters, the fittings are too big for a normal grease gun so I have no idea what the previous owner was using.

Here's a shot of the fitting for the ways.

100_2911.JPG

And another of the fitting for the crankshaft.

100_2912.JPG

Put the oil in the grease gun, it works fine in a good quality grease gun. Not so good in the cheap ones.

If the grease zerks are too big, just change them out for ones that do fit a grease gun, or maybe you can get a nozzle that fits the existing zerks.

Put the oil in the grease gun, it works fine in a good quality grease gun. Not so good in the cheap ones.

All the ones I have must be cheap ones. The plunger at the bottom is just a flat piece of metal. I've never seen one like the one in the picture below. Looks like it has a rubber donut to keep it sealed at the bottom. At $61.99 it better not leak!

grease.jpg

My small Jet mill/drill has little fittings I've never seen before. Looks like just the tip of the grease fitting but the hole is big enough to fit the end of an oiler into. Some of those would be nice if I could find them.

Unless you forsee running production you could always just stay with grease lube. swap out the zircs with some smaller ones like Jim suggested. May require some pipe fittings to reduce down. Ive seen my share of presses run to death on one shot of grease a year if lucky. Heck even manually squirting oil in key spots before use probably would be fine. Not like you could hurt that bad boy any worse than its already seen in 100 odd yrs! I would flush out the old grease passages with pipe cleaners, compressed air, etc . If you decide to go with oil just get a manual pump unit like bijur or clone and run copper tubing to the zirc locations and switch out with the metering gizmos.

If I punch 1 item a day I'd call that a big deal! :grin big:

The passages in the guides go all the way to the top. I was considering lubing it from the top of the passages before every use and just keeping the crank bearings topped up. They're at a slight angle so it's a very slight gravity feed. Doing it right would be best but I'm not a stranger to a hack either. I might just get it going, see how much I use it and decide if it's worth further investment. If it proves to be valuable I don't mind keeping it up.

Those little oil cups with the flip up lid are cool too.

Thanks for those attachments!

All the ones I have must be cheap ones. The plunger at the bottom is just a flat piece of metal. I've never seen one like the one in the picture below. Looks like it has a rubber donut to keep it sealed at the bottom. At $61.99 it better not leak!

Yup, that's about the right price for a good one. I had a cheap one from HF and it was a POS and giving me problems. I ran up to the local NAPA auto parts and picked up a good one, I think it was marked at about $85, but I lucked out and the day I bought it they were having a tool sale and I think I got it for $37.

Got some more done. Pulled the assembly off the back and got it apart.

Shot before and after a soak in the crok pot with some simple green. That method works pretty well for me.

100_2917.JPG 100_2920.JPG

View attachment 136531

My small Jet mill/drill has little fittings I've never seen before. Looks like just the tip of the grease fitting but the hole is big enough to fit the end of an oiler into. Some of those would be nice if I could find them.

Use a tip like this for your mill

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Hi...:g:t1YAAOSwMgdXx0Cm&item=201663800946&vxp=mtr
I use a gun like this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUNNEL-KING...147335?hash=item4adb7f8507:g:yAkAAOSwpLNX-YVK
upload_2016-10-8_20-54-21.png

Back