Bliss Punch Press Rebuild (kind Of)

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
Not really a rebuild since I won't be doing the stripping, painting and cosmetics. I really just need this to do some work and know it's not gummed up with 50 year old crud. So I'm removing the moving parts and making sure all is well.

Here's how I got it and a shot of it in the back of my S10 which is how I brought it home. Various sources place it somewhere around 1,100# - 1,200# and I'd say I was just over the safe limit for my little truck. I didn't expect to buy it or I would have took a trailer but the price was right. What's a guy to do? :cower:

100_2226.JPG 100_2225.JPG 100_2224.JPG

I took off all the moving parts to check for goop and good thing I did. Here's the majority of the parts less the nuts and bolts.

100_2883.JPG

These passages are packed.

100_2884.JPG

This is the ball socket where the piston meets the ram. No wonder it would barely move.

100_2887.JPG

These are the covers for the crankshaft and the piston. Anyone have any idea what type of lube I should use here? Looks like brass sleeves to me. They have some felt pads that need replaced and they all have grease fittings. I was thinking oil of some sort but I really don't know.

100_2889.JPG

100_2891.JPG

Ram guides look pretty good as do the attached bearings.

100_2892.JPG 100_2894.JPG

Flywheels not too bad but same question here. What type of lube. I can't find a fill hole. there's a cover on the outer side that I could drop some lube into and it would be contained but that seems pretty low tech. Can't get to the back one that I can see.

100_2896.JPG

This housing is on the opposite side of the flywheel. Looks to me like some type of brake but I really don't know. I think that's leather in there but whatever it is, it's shot.

100_2895.JPG

Anyone with experience with these that can offer some guidance?

Wow now thats an oldie! we have a few back geared Bliss C-45s and run 68 way oil in the lube reservoirs. Should be a bijur type unit on there somewhere. Yes the last pic is a brake that keeps it from over running tdc. Should be spring tensioned via a knob. Bliss proper no longer exists but the Intellectual property was bought and is now supported by a company in Hastings MI
BCN technical services. If anyone can, they will be able to give you all the correct info. and supply parts but be prepared to wait and grab your ankle$. I bought a manual, a whole new ram, gibs and knuckle assembly (the threaded part with the ball end) after our operator overadjusted the ram bottom by 1". Theres no stopping the back gear and it torpedoed all of the above parts. $15k worth. I said trash it but boss loved the press so we dumped the cash. Good luck with resurrecting it.

Oh and the ball and socket connection should have s felt ring on top and its filled with oil.

That's an oldie. Bliss made some really fine presses. I'm trying to buy a 60 ton right now (for scrap price of course;))

I normally use grease in the clutch. If you have an industrial friction place around you, they can reline the brake. As the flywheel comes around, the knife disengages the clutch, and the brake stops the crankshaft near the top if it's adjusted correctly.

@Cheeseking is correct on the oil, or Vactra BB

And be careful with that thing, punch presses are not forgiving at all. They will crush body parts in a heartbeat, if the flywheel is turning, it's the same as a loaded gun:eek:.

Wow now thats an oldie! we have a few back geared Bliss C-45s and run 68 way oil in the lube reservoirs. Should be a bijur type unit on there somewhere. Yes the last pic is a brake that keeps it from over running tdc. Should be spring tensioned via a knob.

The C-45 is considerably larger than what I have and mine doesn't have a central lube system. I do have the spring tensioned knob it's just off in the picture. If something breaks on this and I can't make or fix it the machine is done. I'm only $70 in to it. That makes it hard to pay for an expensive part or repair.

Oh and the ball and socket connection should have s felt ring on top and its filled with oil.

Good to know. There was no felt ring there and I was wondering how to keep the crud out. Can I just use regular felt from the fabric store or should it be some fancy smancy stuff?

That's an oldie. Bliss made some really fine presses. I'm trying to buy a 60 ton right now (for scrap price of course;))

I normally use grease in the clutch. If you have an industrial friction place around you, they can reline the brake. As the flywheel comes around, the knife disengages the clutch, and the brake stops the crankshaft near the top if it's adjusted correctly.

@Cheeseking is correct on the oil, or Vactra BB

And be careful with that thing, punch presses are not forgiving at all. They will crush body parts in a heartbeat, if the flywheel is turning, it's the same as a loaded gun:eek:.

Standard axle grease? I've got some of that.

Thanks for the warning. I've got a smaller benchmaster and it's a little finger crusher. I always run it by hand first to check for crashes before turning the power on. Once it's running it's hands off except for the trip lever.

Any general purpose grease would work. I like moly greases, but that's just a personal preference.

We made lots of parts on those presses. Please heed the warnings on safety, had to carry someone's fingers to the emergency room when they were left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back