Blackening Aluminum

Does anyone here have experience with Cerokote? It is just painted on or is it baked like powdercoat? How is it's durability?
Robert

Cerokote is not a product, it is a brand name. Just like there are a bunch of different kinds of Ford, there are a bunch of kinds of Cerokote with various properties, some are heat cure some are air cure. Best to go to their website to pick the one best suited for your application.
I have gotten away with baking parts in the kitchen oven on a day where the wife was not home.....

With my models, there is a large number of ZAMAK castings. ZAMAK is largely alum of course. I use Birchwood-Casey Alum Black prior to painting. Not so much a primer as a "backup" for scratches or flaking. The desired finish color is not a true black, but rather a variable very dark gray. By using the Birchwood-Casey product, a chip is virtually unnoticable.

But, and this does matter, the models are not "handled" on a serious basis. The "pre-blackening" is often used as a temporary coloring agent until I can get around to painting. It is not a true black and it doesn't stand up very well to handling. For something that would have constant handling, I would use a "Plasti-Dip" like product in the appropriate color. For handling as well as the electrical insulation properties.

Anodizing is not a solid option for several reasons, nor is powder coating. Setup time is a portion of this, as is the small quantities involved. In my case, very small details are inportant. Powder coating wouldn't work for that reason alone. I've never seen Plasti-Dip in black, but it should be available somewhere by someone.

I have used Norrell molly resin that is a thermally cured phenolic coating specifically developed for ordnance usage on equipment and weapons. It‘s much better than any thing I have found to use on Aluminum that gets a lot of wear. Cerokote don’t even come close. My applications have stood up to some hard use for many years. No complaints at all.
check it out.
CH

I have used Norrell molly resin that is a thermally cured phenolic coating specifically developed for ordnance usage on equipment and weapons. It‘s much better than any thing I have found to use on Aluminum that gets a lot of wear. Cerokote don’t even come close. My applications have stood up to some hard use for many years. No complaints at all.
check it out.
CH
Is it true black?

Back