Bison 5C Chuck on a D1-4 Backplate

David2011

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The guy that sold me his 11x26 Grizzly lathe said that he couldn't adapt a 4" Bison 5C collet chuck to his Precision Matthews 1236 which has a D1-4 chuck. He has good machining skills so there must have been some obstacle he didn't like although when I asked he couldn't remember what was the problem. He offered the Bison chuck to me at a price too good to pass and the backplate for it was in the Grizzly's toolbox so I've been using it for a couple of years now. This chuck is about $1000 US so I would really like to use it on the lathe I recently bought which has a D1-4 spindle.

After looking at all of the respective dimensions I can't see why the 5C chuck couldn't be mounted on a D1-4 back plate similar to this one but not necessarily this exact one. Can anyone see a problem? https://www.amazon.com/CME-Camlock-...09443957&sprefix=d1-4+mou,aps,127&sr=8-3&th=1

No reason why it couldn't as far I I know . What does the back of the Bison look like ?

The back of the Bison is pretty straightforward. It has a 2.76” diameter recess to register against, easily larger than the through bore of a D1-4 back plate. It has 3 mounting screws near the O.D. that enter through the front. Photo from the Bison website.

Attachments

• F8489998-1548-4DA8-A43E-6C561B3E4FBD.jpeg
    F8489998-1548-4DA8-A43E-6C561B3E4FBD.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I put one on a D1-6 backplate - can't think of any reason it wouldn't work unless the mounting holes simply could not be aligned without interfering with a camlock post - but that's hard to imagine.

GsT

ETA: IIRC, I paid $300 for my Bison 5C chuck from J&L a "few" years ago. Can't believe they're $1k now.

Based on the description and the picture, my guess is that it is a flat 5" back and will mount to whatever adapter you buy separately.

The Bison page does have an "Ask about product" button. I would ask the source directly.

The 4" is the Bison Mini collet chuck. They are more expensive than the common 5" which is what most lathes use. I'd sell it if possible and get the larger chuck. Dave

I see the difference is a through hole on the 5”. That is an advantage.
Pierre

I see the difference is a through hole on the 5”. That is an advantage.
Pierre
The one that I have has a through hole.

The 4" is the Bison Mini collet chuck. They are more expensive than the common 5" which is what most lathes use. I'd sell it if possible and get the larger chuck. Dave
If I thought it would quickly sell for enough to fully pay for the 5” counterpart that would be a possibility. Who would pay $800 for a used 5C chuck?

It hasn’t been long that I disassembled, cleaned and lubed this chuck so I know that it’s in excellent condition. I don’t want to replace it with a cheap Chinese version so I’ll order a backplate for it and another for my ER40 chuck.

Must be a different one than what is listed on the Bison site. Therefore I would keep it.

I mounted a D1-3 backplate to a similar Bison Chuck, I can’t see why a D1-4 would be any different. I was considering changing the backplate to a D1-4 to use on my SB 10L lathe.

Back