Big Lathe vs Small Lathe

R

Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
I've read several places where people think they can make small parts easier or better on a small lathe compared to a larger lathe. I say bull pucky.

Sure a really big lathe with a huge swing that's setup to machine parts you can only load with a crane may not be setup to machine or even hold small parts.

Sure a precision watchmaker's lathe may be much better to machine case threads.

Neither of those is similar really as lathes go and neither is in the same class of engine lathe most folks are talking about when this topic comes up.

But that's not usually what they are comparing. They are comparing a 7,8,9 x 10,16,20 to a 13x36 or 14x40. They are basically the same lathe. Just a difference in scale. Neither is going to be perfect with a 3 jaw chuck. Both can be dialed in with a 4 jaw. Either can use collets or be setup with a collet chuck. Both can use solid, custom ground, or insert tooling. Either can be available or not with various gearing options or tool post options.

Really. One might feel more comfortable or less threatened by a small lathe, but a 2000lb 14x40 is going to move less, be more rigid, and have less vibration. It might take a little more muscle, but you can even do hand assisted operations on either machine. The bigger machine would be better for that too because you won't have to bolt it to a work bench to keep it from moving when you put some muscle into it.

Sure you can't compare a Southbend to a Harbor Freight, but that's a function of quality. Not size.

In my opinion the smaller lathe only edges out the bigger machine for price, foot print, and maybe in the smallest cases ease of moving it out of the way and putting it on a shelf when not in use.

Last edited by a moderator:
lathe needs to be sturdy and precise if it has more power than just speeds the process anything more them 1,5 meters in bed length is excessive for most jobs

I'm in your court on that, but got a buddy with machine lathe and also a Sherline. He loves that little lathe, he keeps making added tooling for it. He thinks it's needed for his shop, part of that is he's a tool collector freak and likes making parts for the Sherline too.

I got 2 engine lathes and a CNC gang lathe, he keeps telling me I need a Sherline too.

He has a mini mill too. Hard to call this one practical.

minimill.jpg

Unless someone bought it, the worlds largest lathe is for sale. It's a Waldrich Siegen 3000x 13000mm(118'x512') . Unfortunately, my shop is too small(14'x12'), so I had to turn it down. I guess that I will have to put up with my 8"x14".

Your opinion of "small" is subjective. I have a Colchester Chipmaster which I would consider a small lathe. I had the opportunity to own and use a much bigger lathe but passed on it. The difference being that my lathe is very light on the handles and very easy to manipulate for small work.

You miss several important points for why people choose small lathes. For one, the inrush current on a large lathe will pop most domestic fuses. Secondly, chuck changes are back breaking and difficult. Thirdly, tooling is large and can be unwieldy for smaller jobs. Fourth, large lathes tend to have a lower RPM range than smaller lathes which is not ideal for turning small parts - especially if you want to use carbide tooling on small parts.

Many hobby machinists come from a machining background. As they get older, many don't feel like trying to muscle a 200 pound carriage or slide a 100 pound tailstock up to a pen blank. There are plenty of seasoned machinists who not only like, but prefer their little lathes for the reasons I stated.

I don't know what your experience is or how long you have been machining. I would however recommend that you join a model steam club and have a look at what machines those blokes use. I think you might be surprised at the size of their favorite machines.

Paul.

I'm in your court on that, but got a buddy with machine lathe and also a Sherline. He loves that little lathe, he keeps making added tooling for it. He thinks it's needed for his shop, part of that is he's a tool collector freak and likes making parts for the Sherline too.

I got 2 engine lathes and a CNC gang lathe, he keeps telling me I need a Sherline too.
How do you like the gang lathe?
I have been trying to talk my employer into a small one or gang tooling for the existing machines, he is reluctant to gamble as most jobs are less then 1000 parts.

Back