Big Lathe vs Small Lathe

Correction, he didn't buy that mill, he had just sent me a stock picture of it. There was a different tiny lathe he was kicking the tires on and was just too much cash for something to sit on the edge of the desk as a talking piece.

Link and page to Barry Jordan's work. Interesting.....

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/jordan.htm

Many hobby machinists come from a machining background. As they get older, many don't feel like trying to muscle a 200 pound carriage or slide a 100 pound tailstock up to a pen blank. There are plenty of seasoned machinists who not only like, but prefer their little lathes for the reasons I stated.
Many large machines have powered rapid capabilities, I detest having to manually move a 500 Lb carriage up and down the bed so I always use the powered rapid move feature on such machines.

Many large machines have powered rapid capabilities, I detest having to manually move a 500 Lb carriage up and down the bed so I always use the powered rapid move feature on such machines.

Many, but not all. For most machines in the hobby price range this is far from a given. I am with you on cranking a handle to move what equates to a Buick to cut an M6 thread. Here in Norway there are many old, quality European lathes for sale. I always lust after them but back out once I crank the handle on the carriage. As much as I have tried to upgrade, I can't part with my little Chipmaster.

Paul.

How do you like the gang lathe?
I have been trying to talk my employer into a small one or gang tooling for the existing machines, he is reluctant to gamble as most jobs are less then 1000 parts.

I bought an Omniturn GT75 new from the boys in Oregon, and love it. Small foot print for having it in the garage. I also got C-axis live tooling option that has come in handy.

These are not really good for large diameter parts. No tail stock. Tool table is just 1/2" off centerline. Long parts are ok as long as you just doing end work to work piece. Hand load type deal for those.

I never did pull the trigger on Camware thou. Didn't see package that I liked and have been just writing g-codes. Not that bad actually.

It's a part maker with bar feed running.

Biggest trick is being smart on setting up tool table. When I 1st got it , it was not performing like it should. I was thinking the lathe was off. My mech engineer buddy mentioned earlier in this thread, said no way, it's not working because of you. He was right, I was doing things wrong.

Part runs of 100 - 500 is common for me. Usually when the parts for my own jobs. I don't like doing to many since I tend to over think my designs and want changes.

The 2K - 5K type orders are always nice thou.

Your opinion of "small" is subjective. I have a Colchester Chipmaster which I would consider a small lathe. I had the opportunity to own and use a much bigger lathe but passed on it. The difference being that my lathe is very light on the handles and very easy to manipulate for small work.

You miss several important points for why people choose small lathes. For one, the inrush current on a large lathe will pop most domestic fuses. Secondly, chuck changes are back breaking and difficult. Thirdly, tooling is large and can be unwieldy for smaller jobs. Fourth, large lathes tend to have a lower RPM range than smaller lathes which is not ideal for turning small parts - especially if you want to use carbide tooling on small parts.

Many hobby machinists come from a machining background. As they get older, many don't feel like trying to muscle a 200 pound carriage or slide a 100 pound tailstock up to a pen blank. There are plenty of seasoned machinists who not only like, but prefer their little lathes for the reasons I stated.

I don't know what your experience is or how long you have been machining. I would however recommend that you join a model steam club and have a look at what machines those blokes use. I think you might be surprised at the size of their favorite machines.

Paul.

Some folks get upset when you disagree with their perspective, even if you have a valid reason for doing so. Different folks, different strokes. :)

We had a giant lathe from the shipyard , it had a seat to ride the carriage , had rapid both ways . Start a cut one day and it gets done the next day. It was for making propeller shafts they told me. Man could it eat steel.

I think most people choose machines for many different reasons.
Space, power requirements, cost, weight, machining needs, availability just to name a few.
I bought a South Bend 9A because it was in my price range, fairly close by, and came with some tooling.
Would I like a larger lathe ??? Absolutely !!!
I keep my eye out for a larger one that's within my price range and area, but the one I have is capable of doing what I want it for.
There have been a couple instances where I wish I had one with a larger swing and at least one instance of needing a longer bed.

Some folks get upset when you disagree with their perspective, even if you have a valid reason for doing so. Different folks, different strokes. :)

I mean no offence and take none if anyone disagrees with my opinion. Having helped out a large number of people buy hobby machines I have had to run through the list I stated when helping them decide on the size of the machine. There are many different reasons to buy a machine - size is just one factor.

Paul.

How do you like the gang lathe?
I have been trying to talk my employer into a small one or gang tooling for the existing machines, he is reluctant to gamble as most jobs are less then 1000 parts.

Here is a video sample of a slitting saw we needed. This 1st motor was not perfect and we sized it better. not the current meter to motor. Part was like a 5mm tube with end flared and two slices at 90 degrees. Did the 1st batch of these with endmill, this was faster option.

I posted it there for practice on embeding videos in htmls. Still need work on learning that skill.

http://www.linghunt.com/LINGHUNTVIDEOS/LinghuntVideos.html

Back