Biax not cutting smooth

It doesn't seem like there is excessive slop. How tight should the guides be set against the wear bars?

I've tried all angles and can't seem to get it to go away so I don't think that's the problem.

I will look at mine and get back to you on the clearance, I wrote a PM to Rich King and asked him for input.

I will look at mine and get back to you on the clearance, I wrote a PM to Rich King and asked him for input.
There does sleep to be some clearance on mine. If there's supposed to be absolutely no clearance, or ability to rock them side to side then maybe mine are worn past their life. I tried to adjust the screws down tighter however none of the clearance was taken up and I was at the point of stripping out the little slot head set screw.

I can get a .0025 feeler under one side of the slide, and there is no discernable side play, this scraper has not seen a whole lot of use, so the info is pretty much baseline.

I can get a .0025 feeler under one side of the slide, and there is no discernable side play, this scraper has not seen a whole lot of use, so the info is pretty much baseline.
I pulled out the feeler gauges and it looks like I can tighten them down to where I can't fit the .0016 feeler gauge. So i'm guessing my clearances are ok. The machine looks to be in great shape, and my first thought was not that I have a problem with the machine. Possibly the blade/cutter setup...

That may be why Rich reccomends using the thin shanked brazed carbide tools.

I am not sure as to what direction the scraping is being done in, as the rows of scrape marks do not continue from left to right in long rows as would normally be done, all across a surface, and then crossed at 90 degrees, the individual scrape marks should be perhaps 3/16 wide and 1/2 - 3/4" long and have a small width of unscraped surface between each scrape mark. Are the chatter marks 90 degrees to the length of the scrape mark?

That is an awfully short stroke, try lengthening it to about 1/2 - 3/4" and see what happens and play around with the stroke speed.

Compared to the blade, the "scrapes" are quite small. Along with lengthening the stroke (for roughing), try adding down pressure. My guess is that the cutter is "skipping" along the stroke and not digging in. I think that is what RK calls chicken scratching.

Back