Beware chinese key assortments

Many years ago I bought a HF machine screw and nut assortment. The steel was made of some sort of cheese and the threads on some sizes didn't match anything I've ever seen. Those did get thrown away eventually.

So what do we do if MSC designates it the same way? How about we just stick with the issue in the original post?
I'm not accusing you of misusing the term. I'm pointing out that there is an increasing chance of off (chinese) vendors misusing terms. I often find that they stuff the title with whatever term they think will satisfy search phrases people will use. That is relevant to the original post, and is something I've found helpful in picking out or rejecting things on Amazon and Ebay, etc.

I'm not accusing you of misusing the term. I'm pointing out that there is an increasing chance of off (chinese) vendors misusing terms. I often find that they stuff the title with whatever term they think will satisfy search phrases people will use. That is relevant to the original post, and is something I've found helpful in picking out or rejecting things on Amazon and Ebay, etc.
So where do I learn which term is correct. All my screws were bought looking for the SAE designation for Imperial or whatever....my snap rings were SAE.

So where do I learn which term is correct.
I thought @benmychree's post was helpful in that context, so this forum is one such resource. Obviously I've ****** you off, so I'll quit with this thread.

Last edited:
I thought @benmychree's post was helpful in that context, so this forum is one such resource. Obviously I've ****** you off, so I'll quit with this thread.
It's pretty frustrating because everyone here knows what SAE means generically. I don't want to open a huge can of worms that doesn't particularly add to the conversation/warning.

We all laugh when Ebay listings add lathe, mill, collet, grind, cut, bend, drill, machinist, Starret, Brown & Sharp, Mitutoyo, SAE, and Metric to every different machine tool because they don't know what it's for. It's pretty obvious.

In this context part of the assortment was SAE but not all of it so they were not simply using the wrong term. The company who made it was being deceitful. The seller has no clue but did designate it properly. I didn't receive a completely metric set.

I have struggled with the correct nomenclature, inch, imperial, SAE etc. None of them are wrong, none are correct. The closest I have come is U.S. Customary, but no one recognizes it.

I bought a set of import tie-down clamps and studs for the mill. I specifically ordered a set that advertised 1/2-13 UNC. I was half-way through cutting the nuts down from 22mm to 3/4 in. when I realized the damn things were M12x2 threads. The seller got to keep his sh*tty feedback and I got to keep the *!##!!* clamp set.

I have struggled with the correct nomenclature, inch, imperial, SAE etc. None of them are wrong, none are correct. The closest I have come is U.S. Customary, but no one recognizes it.

I bought a set of import tie-down clamps and studs for the mill. I specifically ordered a set that advertised 1/2-13 UNC. I was half-way through cutting the nuts down from 22mm to 3/4 in. when I realized the damn things were M12x2 threads. The seller got to keep his sh*tty feedback and I got to keep the *!##!!* clamp set.
That would be infuriating.....

Back