Beware chinese key assortments

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I bought a metric and SAE assortment several years ago and put them on the shelf.

The carbon steel metric set was well made and the sizes are right on.

The SAE set has metric sizes as SAE sizes. The 1/8, 1/4, and 5/16 are actually 3mm, 6mm, and 8mm. Kind of hard to get nice tight key fits when the sizes are so far off.

I'm pretty annoyed but I'm glad I found out ahead of time. I do have key stock but the assortment was supposed to save me the time of cutting and rounding a key.

Just a heads up.

Woodruff? Car? Shaft?

What kind of keys we talking?

I wonder that SAE (society of automobile engineers) is the proper designation for key stock sizes, more clear, might be "imperial" or fractional inch sizes. SAE includes many standards for the auto industries, including our fine pitch thread standards, as distinct from our USS or United States, or coarse thread standards. The multiplicity of supposed standards seems nearly endless ---

I wonder that SAE (society of automobile engineers) is the proper designation for key stock sizes, more clear, might be "imperial" or fractional inch sizes. SAE includes many standards for the auto industries, including our fine pitch thread standards, as distinct from our USS or United States, or coarse thread standards. The multiplicity of supposed standards seems nearly endless ---
60 pc Keystock Bar Assortment Lock Pulleys Gears Square Key Stock Keyway Set (SAE) https://a.co/d/hCAlFbx

I do my best to designate things properly. I followed what they said in the listing...... I'm really not sure what you expect me to do differently.

I do my best to designate things properly.
Given that they didn’t get the sizes right, this casts more doubt on the already dubious vendor than you, although picking these details up may be helpful in recognizing issues in the future

Given that they didn’t get the sizes right, this casts more doubt on the already dubious vendor than you, although picking these details up may be helpful in recognizing issues in the future
So what do we do if MSC designates it the same way? How about we just stick with the issue in the original post?

I had the same experience with hex head screw assortments. Threw them away. I kept the box though, to fill up with better ones. I do think it’s best to buy from McMaster if at all possible.

If the sizes are so far off, who knows what alloy they used...
I've seen some gnarly key failures, such mishaps can get very expensive. Best not to take chances and get the good stuff IMHO.

Back