Better machines project

Skip the old table top craftsman saws. I had one, and other than the noise, I would rather have your dewalt.

I grew up with a craftsman (113) contractors saw, and its merely ok. For 500 ish dollars if you look you should be able to find a delta unisaw.

I have a late 90's unisaw with overarm guard and its so nice compared to my dads craftsman its not even funny. I spent a little more than 500 dollars but it was cherry, had a mobile base, the overarm guard and an outfeed table.

But cutting ply, why with a table saw. I use a dewalt track saw. So much easier, more accurate, and less(almost none if you cut on a sheet of foam) dust hooked up to a vacuum.

I still use the table saw to rip hardwoods and cut finger joints and such, but if I "HAD" to choose either it or a mitersaw and tracksaw I would pick the latter pair. With a MFT style table you could even do most of what a miter saw does, very portable.

I haven't cut ply on a table saw in a while since I got a tracksaw and build a MFT style bench/router table combo.

Last edited:
Here’s mine.

197EBE74-0267-4761-814D-1B42297A242D.jpeg

4D769E36-39A1-4035-BD4A-B9133A238DE4.jpeg

Price was free and it does everything I need.

Of course I’m a metal worker;)

John

But cutting ply, why with a table saw. I use a dewalt track saw. So much easier, more accurate,
I generally use a straight edge and a circular saw myself. But in bygone days, I used a tablesaw for it. It seemed faster.

I generally use a straight edge and a circular saw myself. But in bygone days, I used a tablesaw for it. It seemed faster.
I break down sheet goods with a homemade quasi track using tempered hardboard and a board glued to it for the saw to ride against. Built it before there were tracksaws.. but I just put the edge of the board up against my marks clamp with spring clamps and cut. Of course it's 8 feet long, so it's a pain to move around. but it breaks down stuff real quick. Then it's off to the tablesaw... usually.
Wood ... um Would love a festool tracksaw. But they have gotten expensive since they don't seem to include track anymore. They cut on the line no matter 90 or 45... I don't know of another track saw that's doing it accurately.

I break down sheet goods with a homemade quasi track using tempered hardboard and a board glued to it for the saw to ride against. Built it before there were tracksaws.. but I just put the edge of the board up against my marks clamp with spring clamps and cut. Of course it's 8 feet long, so it's a pain to move around. but it breaks down stuff real quick. Then it's off to the tablesaw... usually.
Wood ... um Would love a festool tracksaw. But they have gotten expensive since they don't seem to include track anymore. They cut on the line no matter 90 or 45... I don't know of another track saw that's doing it accurately.
Dewalt does as does the makita. Dewalt also doesn't have the pivoting saw mechanism but a parallelogram, Much more ergonomic

Well that was interesting. I sort of expected a majority vote for a Delta Unisaw. But I'm glad to read that not very many people have anything against the Craftsman.

I saw ( visually ) my table saw in the garage yesterday . :) Hopefully later this week I can pull it to a useable area , been awhile .

I have a Unisaw and love it. If you can find one cheap they are the cream of the crop. I also have a Makita track saw and also love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back