Better machines project

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So this project is simply to replace my job site Dewalt tablesaw. There are dozens of Craftsman 10" tablesaws for sale between $50-500. My purposes are varied but not of the fine woodworking nature. Cutting sheet goods, and pine 2x material mostly. I'd like to be able to rip oak too, but honestly I'm just too cheap for anything but the cheapest and most free lumber I can use. I get some hard maple and oak out of pallets sometimes.
All that said, I would say I'm looking to overkill this self induced issue. I don't like looking at this job saw. I hate how loud it is. I'm fairly dissatisfied with noise to power level. So what? I'm ready to buy a good looking, higher performance, quieter saw that doesn't need to be super easy to move around. I mentioned these Craftsmans because they're so darned cheap used. Any strong opinions on them? After that, does anybody have a favorite? Obviously not looking at $3k saws with sliding tables. But it has to be put together with much less aluminum and plastic than my current version, and a cast iron top.

I would only look at belt drive Craftsman or Delta saws. A mobile base will make it easy to move. The only drawback to a contractor style saw is dust collection is pretty challenging to implement.

I have had my USA made Delta contractor's saw since about 1988. Still works great. It will do everything I need it to do with a good quality blade. Also, there is nothing wrong with the USA made Craftsman saws. In my area, the Delta can be had for about the same price you stated, but more likely around $250.

The older Craftsman saws with the 113 prefix are fairly popular so there are lots of mods and some aftermarket out there for them, prices are usually under $200. These have cast iron tops and wings and I think date to around the 1980s. They were made with both direct drive and belt drive, the belt drive are preferred.

I'm fixing up a direct drive 113 that I got for $50, it will be a nice improvement from the aluminum top Craftsman I bought new in the early 2000s.

I will only say this:
When you buy a Craftsman you have a different sized slot than the others. Others are 3/4. I don't know what the craftsman is, but it's different.

I think they are not 3/8" deep x 3/4” wide as is tradition on a cast iron saw.

Last edited:
from a website... not validated:

This table saw does not have the traditional 3/4" x 3/8" miter slot and uses a very odd 5/8" wide T-slot.

Just went out to check mine, Craftsman saw looks like the 113 series cast iron table belt drive.

It has a 3/4" slot.

I have two of these, one my dad bought new in the 1970's, the other I got free from Craigslist. Great saws for doing what you're looking for, I have one at each house and don't plan on giving either one up.

John

I will only say this:
When you buy a Craftsman you have a different sized slot than the others. Others are 3/4. I don't know what the craftsman is, but it's different.

That may be true for some models but I'd be pretty wary of any source claiming anything "Craftsman" was standard. So many tool makers made tools for Sears over the 20th Century.

Back