Best / Easiest Way To Make Hex Head Bolts?

Lots of great info here guys and thanks.

I like the estate sale / garage sale approach. Wish I was into this hobby a couple of years ago. There was a farm auction just down the rad from me and very few people turned up. My neighbor bought boxes of plumbing fittings, tire chain links, cable, chain, etc for a few dollars a box. I had no need for those things at the time and would find it hard to buy more unneeded stuff when I already have a shop and 40ft shipping container full of stuff that I might need some day.

I do have an assortment of all thread and nuts just for this purpose but they are all coarse threads and my latest need was for fine thread. I haven't seen all thread in a fine pitch. Is there such a thing?

Yes, UNF All-Thread is available. Not as common as course thread but available.

Tom S.

The easiest way is hex bar and single point on a lath. The cheapest is buy in bulk. You can get fine thread all thread at McMaster. I miss the days when you could by bolts, nuts, washers, screws, and nails by the pound at the local mom and pop hardware stores.

If you need to make hex shapes (or even two flats on opposite sides) it's hard to beat a hex collet block held in the mill vice......

like these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Collet-Block...486963?hash=item234fbaa373:g:mZ0AAOSwXshWtMWi

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-5C-COLLE...207638?hash=item1a1f4bbf96:g:ReIAAOSw4GVYUD50

I did get a kit with both square and hex blocks, but I dunno if I've used the square one.......

-brino

I like that idea and you even found some in Canadian locations. Thanks.

As it turns out the reason I needed a fine thread bolt was for an R8 collet block I just made which will be used as part of an end mill sharpener. I may just need to make a hex one now. I think the best idea for me would be to have some hex stock on hand, especially since single pointing threads is now much easier with the new lathe. With my little King 1022 (Grizzly G0602) I would have to take very light cuts and it took forever to cut threads but the new 12 x 36 lathe just eats through the steel and is way faster producing threads.

Here's some pics of the collet block. I also realized I could mount my R8 face mill in the collet block and use it for sharpening the cutters evenly but the new bolt I made is a little too short. Now I need to make a longer one.
upload_2016-12-16_20-30-50.png

upload_2016-12-16_20-31-17.png

upload_2016-12-16_20-31-48.png

Last edited:
Get a larger supply and a bunch of coffee cans. Buy that stuff when you see it on craigslist, at garage/yard/estate sales or businesses closing down. You can get it at scrap metal prices and will save you a drive to town. Factory bolts are usually better fitting and stronger than what you can cobble together, depending...
Better than coffee cans: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HnfCFzlOAeg/maxresdefault.jpg

Use a sharpy to write the bolt size on the front. Drill a hole in the neck for the tap and the drill that goes with the tap.

Back