Best / Easiest Way To Make Hex Head Bolts?

HBilly1022

Registered
Registered
I live in the country and sometimes I need a bolt that is not in my small supply. It's a 30 minute drive to the only hardware store in the little town near me and they often don't have what I need. The next option is to drive an hour each way to the City and get it, or MAKE it. So far I have tried a few methods and I'm still looking for the easiest / fastest way to do this. I usually have the tap and dies I need to cut the threads but making the head is the issue. I have tried using a large diameter rod and cutting it down to size, then using the RT in the mill to cut the head but that is very time consuming. The one I find the easiest so far is to cut the threads I want on a piece of round stock then, if I have the right size and pitch nut, to thread it onto one end then weld in on and finish the surface in the mill or lathe. If I don't have the right size nut I will either drill out the threads on the nut or turn the one end of the rod down enough to accept the nut then weld it on.

I've thought about using hex stock but can't find any near me. However if that is the best way then I can order some from somewhere in the web.

I'm sure there are better ways than the way I've been doing it and I'd love to hear (read) them.

Last edited:
Start with hex stock. You can order 12" length off ebay. Order an assortment of sizes and you'll be all set.

Get a larger supply and a bunch of coffee cans. Buy that stuff when you see it on craigslist, at garage/yard/estate sales or businesses closing down. You can get it at scrap metal prices and will save you a drive to town. Factory bolts are usually better fitting and stronger than what you can cobble together, depending...

The quickest way is to just start with hex. The second quickest way is to start with over-sized round bar and then use a hex 5C collet block to mill the hex at the mill.

I used the second method at about 23:30 into this video.

Thread suitably oversized round stock. Screw on a nut hard to the end and then mill the head using the nut as a reference for the angles and depth of the flats

In a pinch, I've turned down the shank of a larger dia bolt to the diameter I've needed and cut new threads.

Buy a selection of all thread and nuts, weld the appropriate nut on. But I agree with Bob there are a ton of nuts and bolts to be had very cheaply. I go through quite a few parts cars, and all useful fasteners are saved and sorted. If you go to the hardware store or on line, buy by the box, much cheaper. Mike

Estate sale on last day usually can get cans and boxes of unsorted hardware for free just to get it out of the way.

We only buy hardware when we need it to look good...

Usually we have plenty...

If you have a tsc they sell by pound and you can make bags of assorted but not best quality but far better than scratch made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Lots of great info here guys and thanks.

I like the estate sale / garage sale approach. Wish I was into this hobby a couple of years ago. There was a farm auction just down the rad from me and very few people turned up. My neighbor bought boxes of plumbing fittings, tire chain links, cable, chain, etc for a few dollars a box. I had no need for those things at the time and would find it hard to buy more unneeded stuff when I already have a shop and 40ft shipping container full of stuff that I might need some day.

I do have an assortment of all thread and nuts just for this purpose but they are all coarse threads and my latest need was for fine thread. I haven't seen all thread in a fine pitch. Is there such a thing?

Back