Best Cutting Fluid??

Idk if it's best but this has worked for me. I made up a jug from opened containers I had . The mix is roughly one half diesel fuel , 1/4 ATF wal mart brand and 1/4 chain/bar oil and some rotella , just stuff I had laying around .
I've used it in stainless , mild steel ...here it is facing off some old Alum soft jaws that I welded over some cuts, dings and mishaps
--------------------------------------------------------------

The speed at which you wish to do the work will determine what is best, if you are planning on pushing it as fast as possible you will need something with excellent cooling properties, normal threading/cutting oils will smoke a good deal when the chips are coming off blue or sparking, they are also terrible coolants. Soluble flood coolant will go a long way toward removing the heat yet if run hard enough it will still smoke the oil in the mix, I would not recommend it for rigid tapping in steel. There are lubes made for automatic and Swiss screw machines but I suspect that these are out of your price range and are very very messy in use. Flood coolant will also help with chip control which can be an important factor if you let the machine run unattended.

I use this it works good on most materials. And a gallon pre-mix will last.

What about soya oil? A shop near us uses it in their CNC lathes and milling centers. My question would be if it gets sticky and/or rancid since it is a natural product.
Pierre

I now use Oatey dark cutting/threading oil as well. HD and Lowes has it but IIRC not in gallon sizes. Good stuff. I've used Tap Magic, ATF, motor oils, and a lot of other stuff the EPA would love to know about. :D The Oatey stuff seems to work the best for a reasonable price.

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

tetrachloroethylene
I would be hesitant to use this on a regular bases, it is volatile and can cause respiratory and skin problems with prolonged exposure. The MSDS is a bit intimidating. Did use it a lot in the past on brakes and to clean parts, be sure you are in a well ventilated area.

Major Health Hazards: respiratory tract irritation, skin irritation, eye irritation, central nervous system depression, suspect cancer hazard
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS:
INHALATION:
Short Term Exposure:
irritation, metallic taste, ringing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, difficulty breathing, irregular heartbeat, headache, drowsiness, symptoms of drunkenness, blurred vision, lung congestion, kidney damage, liver damage, coma
Long Term Exposure:
asthma, menstrual disorders, reproductive effects, cancer
SKIN CONTACT:
irritation (possibly severe),
blisters, symptoms of drunkenness
EYE CONTACT:
Short Term Exposure:
irritation, tearing
Long Term Exposure:
same as effects reported in short term exposure
INGESTION:
Short Term Exposure: