Bench Mill choices

I ordered the Andrew D3 special bearing for the knee. I spoke with Clausing tech department. They couldn't recommend a replacement and no D3 in stock. Then I spoke with an engineer who is up on bearing design and uses. He said same thing. He could not come up with a direct fit alternative. The mount that the bearing sets in is a very loose fit. I also asked Clausing about that. He had no idea. And the mounting hole is not wore out. Still has paint overspray from the factory. Since I don't own a lathe I'll have a friend make me a bushing to take up the slack. The bearing engineer also said do not use a regular ball bearing. He said that a regular bearing can't hold the load placed on it by the knee, cross slide and table.
Maybe I’m too late, but you can use my SB 10k lathe if you want. I live in Woodland Hills, so not too far from you. I’m a complete newbie and all I’d ask is that you let me watch and learn.

Palada, thanks for the offer.
No shim required. It's supposed to be like that. The bearing does turn but at such a low rpm it doesn't matter. Most of the force is downward only thats why the specific type of bearing. There are alternatives out there but would require machine work on the mounting piece.

Well today was delivery day. The table shaft and cross feed shaft came in. And the bronze cross slide nut. And then my new Andrew's D3 bearing. The new bearing is not sealed and thinking about it probably no seal need as it way up the knee screw protected by the housing it mounts in. I guess I overthink some things. Bearing is dry not lubed but I'm going to fill it with wheel bearing grease. I will assemble the knee screw tomorrow and install it where it is at full height. In the manual on lubrication everything get 20wt oil. Including the knee screw. I would like to install the knee too but I'm waiting for the bearings for the sleeve. I would not want to try to install that with the knee on. Those 2 bearing will be ready for me at 8 on Monday.
I'm still cleaning and preparing. Painting a bunch today. Blew out all the oilers to ensure they work.
That's all for now.
Mike

I had to call Clausing again. Seems my knee lift shaft shaft part 700-014 was bent. Way bent. So for a little over $100.00 I have a new shaft on the way. I also ordered 8 new motor mount rubbers. Mine were falling apart.
It will be a nice machine when completed.
At least I'm making headway. I'm also going to machine out my table feed nut and use bronze bar stock pressed and pinned then cut new 7/8 x 10 Acme threads. That's the cheapest repair I can do on that. I was planning on setting the knee today, but not until I get that knee lift shaft assembly installed. Probably this weekend if I'm lucky.

Attachments

• 16763489166624813320743810408589.jpg
    16763489166624813320743810408589.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 12
An update. It seems that the table nut threaded at 7/8-10 is an Odd Duck size wise. New taps this size are not off the shelf. Not in stock. So, MSC sells a bronze bushing taped 7/8-10. Cost including shipping and tax around 130.00. I have a machinst friend who will bore the saddle out and then he will turn down the new bushing to fit. Cheapest tap was 249. Plus 30 day lead time. Cheapest quote for a whole new saddle 349.00. And I'm still not sure this will work, as the print says #3 centralizing.

I got the knee installed last night, but just setting there. This morning installed the 2 bolts tying knee to the lift screw. Then added gib and screws and the 2 knee locks.
Then installed the cross slide. That was a funny job, almost standing on head doing tricks like a dog, all to get that cross slide bronze bushing in place, needed more hands for sure. But it's in and the cross slide works like new, gib installed too. Oh what fun. If you attempt this and have large hands ask for some help preferably someone with small hands as its a tight little space to get to. Then while hold bronze nut try to thread cross screw shaft in. I dropped the nut at least 5 times until my little light said Set Screw Time. Install set screw loose, just enough pressure to hold it up in the cross slide, then screw the slide screw in.
Now waiting for the special 7/8x10 acme tap to cut new threads in the table nut which will be drilled out, a new piece of Bronze anchored in place Then drilled and tapped. Tap won't be here until March.

Attachments

• 20230223_141117.jpg
    20230223_141117.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230223_141123.jpg
    20230223_141123.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 11
If your considering doing this some parts like the table bronze nut are no longer made. And the correct tap which is a rare thing only custom made in 7/8 x 10 Acme rh # 3 centralizing was going to cost me 450.00. Get it to me in a week. So I'm going to try it with a normal 7/8 x 10 rh non centralized and see if it will work. I have a new shaft too. If oi had a lathe and time I could have purchased the 7/8 x10 threaded rod cheap and just cut the ends on a lathe, ot picked a different size that's more obtainable.
Hope this helps someone.

Looking really good. Nice work!

Cutting oil is my blood.

Tom, thanks for the help with the Tap. I think it will work perfectly fine.
As a side not, when I spoke with the Clausing technical department last week they said that they are having issues with supplies as some suppliers folded. Went belly up do to Covid and the economy. That's going to trickle down to everyone who work's repairing almost anything worth repairing.
Mike

Back