Belt sander build vote

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hallo members.

I am planning a belt sander build,but I need our members advice who does have belt sanders,those who doesn't can also join in offcorse.

I am stuck between 50mm(2") and 75mm(3") and maybe 100mm(4"). Length wise I can sort when I do the build. I am asking because I want to know from you guys if you would have preferred to have a narrower or wider one if you could choose over.

Basically what would you vote for and why? It will me alot.

Thanks in advance.
Michael

So what you are saying is,just have a variety of belts to fit the sander?

So what you are saying is,just have a variety of belts to fit the sander?
No, I have a 1" sander, and a 6x48
I have 3 grinders, and 1 surface grinder.
I would like a 2x72 but the 1"x42 really does all I need in the small size. The advantage of a 72 is cooler running/cutting, power really hogs off metal quickly.. My 6x48 does too.

I think for what I do, a 2 X 72 would be perfect. It'll be my next build after the tool grinder.

Are you rolling your own, buying a kit or following plans?

I have a 6x48 and consider it one of the essentials. Sometimes I would like to have a 1 in. wide for working on inside surfaces and delicate work that I can't do on the big one. Different sanders for different jobs

Hey Mike,

I've owned and extensively used a 1" and 2" belt sander for metal work and a 4" sander for wood. There is no question in my mind that if I were to build a belt sander for metal working (fabrication, tool grinding, etc), it would be a 2 X 72.

A 2" belt has enough surface area to very effectively grind tool bits without excessively wearing the belt too fast. Longer belts cut cooler and last longer. 2" belts are also readily available in a wide variety of grits and abrasive media, much more so than for the other widths; consequently, costs tend to be lower for a 2" belt. In addition, I consider a glass platen liner an essential component on a belt sander and these platen liners for the 2" widths are readily and cheaply available. The same goes for the components you may wish to buy instead of make - wheels, contact wheels, platens and so on. An entire industry is out there to support a 2" grinder; not so with any other width.

I have the fixings for a 2 x 72 belt sander in my shop right now. I just need to find the time to design and build it but I didn't even consider anything else.

Last edited:
Hey Mike,

I've owned and extensively used a 1" and 2" belt sander for metal work and a 4" sander for wood. There is no question in my mind that if I were to build a belt sander for metal working (fabrication, tool grinding, etc), it would be a 2 X 72.

A 2" belt has enough surface are to very effectively grind tool bits without excessively wearing the belt too fast. Longer belts cut cooler and last longer. 2" belts are also readily available in a wide variety of grits and abrasive media, much more so than for the other widths; consequently, costs tend to be lower for a 2" belt. In addition, I consider a glass platen liner an essential component on a belt sander and these platen liners for the 2" widths are readily and cheaply available. The same goes for the components you may wish to buy instead of make - wheels, contact wheels, platens and so on. An entire industry is out there to support a 2" grinder; not so with any other width.

I have the fixings for a 2 x 72 belt sander in my shop right now. I just need to find the time to design and build it but I didn't even consider anything else.
Rather than do a glass platten, check out the graphite backed platten facing.
It is supposedly a smooth, cool alternative, and allows you to use any metal (easier to work) and still get the benefits

Any idea on how long this stuff lasts? Glass will stay flat for a decade or more in a metal shop but if graphite is cooler and lasts longer then it might be even better.

Back