Belt sander belt grade?

Hi Robin,

You are indeed not far away from me.

At the moment I don't have a workshop at home, but I intend to build one soon! All I have is an old shed 5' x 4' with no door, which needless to say is a waste of space. I intend to build a workshop at the bottom of the garden about 18' x 8'....

I use a lathe I own - an old Myford ML7 - and a mill - a big old Elliot, not mine - round at a friends house. I am collecting a not new, but never used, Clarke CL430 lathe soon, which I'll put in my workshop, once it's built, but use in the friend's workshop in the mean time. The Myford is a good little lathe, but the Clarke is, in theory, better - http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cl430-metal-lathe

I am in the process of collecting all the gear I'll need for the workshop and have most of the equipment now. The biggest outlay will have to be on a mill of some sort, but as yet I don't know what - I guess it will depend on my finances at the time....

I shall probable get the first belts for the sander from Screwfix - about the same price as the eBay link you listed - thanks! - but I can collect them, so no shipping charge. I'd prefer to use Zirconia belts, but to test out the sander and confirm what grit(s) I want, Screwfix will do.

Duncan

Back