Belt sander belt grade?

fshotf

Registered
Registered
I have just acquired an old belt sander, but it has no belt - it takes belts 36" x 4" or for the metric minded 915mm x 100mm. I plan to use the sander to sharpen tool steel as well as general use when building 5" gauge rolling stock (and anything else).

My question is what grit grade would you recommend? Living in the UK, I know I can get 60, 80, 120 and 180 grit belts.

Thanks!

Duncan

I have a Delta 4x36, and the vast majority of belts for it are simple aluminum oxide belts that will wear out in a hurry on tool steel. There are zirconia abrasive belts (by Norton) available from tru-grit and probably others that will work better, but mine (and others I've seen using that belt size) are limited by low speeds. You will have to be patient.

I'd recommend 120 grit for general purpose work if you only want one grit. Finer is better for a smoother edge...I'd recommend 120 then finishing with 320 or finer.

http://www.trugrit.com/belts5.htm

Thanks! I'll look to see if I can get zirconia belts over here.

When I said I wanted to use the sander to sharpen tool steel, I'd rough it out on the bench grinder first and finish it on the sander, so I don't need to be so patient....

I wasn't aware that you could get belts as fine as 320, but I see from the link you put up that they are available up to 600!

Thanks again!

Duncan

This feller can make custom belts to suit your needs. As in most shops I also have a variety of Belt and Disk sanders and Hand, Pedestal and Surface grinders in my shop that I use for different materials and projects. I buy all of my belts, disk's, pads and stones from him and have been very happy with the service and quality.

http://www.blueribbonabrasives.com/

Joe

Slightly off-topic, but here's my all-time second favorite tip/trick:

I have a Milwaukee 1/2-sheet "jitterbug" sander: http://www.milwaukeepowertoolsonline.com/Sanders/Milwaukee-Orbital-Sander-6010-6.html

It loves to "eat" sand paper (as in tearing, etc.). I discovered that a 4" sanding belt provides a great alternative to paper sheets. Sanding belts have very strong backing, and you can get two usable sheets out of a 4" x 24" belt, 3 out of a 4" x 36". The width is just a bit less (4" vs 4 1/2") than a true half sheet, but that hasn't turned out to be an issue. Of course, it helps that I got a bunch of these belts on closeout a couple of years ago!

PS - This may not be such a great tip any more, as it appears the 6010-6 is no longer sold. Bummer! But it's probably applicable to flat pad "jitterbug" sanders from other manufacturere or in other sizes.

Thanks! I'll look to see if I can get zirconia belts over here.

When I said I wanted to use the sander to sharpen tool steel, I'd rough it out on the bench grinder first and finish it on the sander, so I don't need to be so patient....

I wasn't aware that you could get belts as fine as 320, but I see from the link you put up that they are available up to 600!

Thanks again!

Duncan

Depends what you want to do. I am in the Knife manufacturing trade and I use from 36# to 2000# belts on my sanding machines. For wood I use a 36# and 60# but at slow speed

I use 80 grit for general work and 36 grit when I really have metal to remove. I use the blue zirconia belts. As mentioned,belt speed is important. My Wilton Square Wheel grinder runs about 3400 FPM. I have a variable speed control on it. When finishing some delicate job,it is much less nerve jangling to have the belt run slow.

I use 80 grit for general work and 36 grit when I really have metal to remove. I use the blue zirconia belts. As mentioned,belt speed is important. My Wilton Square Wheel grinder runs about 3400 FPM. I have a variable speed control on it. When finishing some delicate job,it is much less nerve jangling to have the belt run slow.
I have the same system, for steel work, try running your speed controller up at 9000 FPM using a 36# Zircon belt, you'll appreciate the difference and much longer belt life.

Contact my Brother Tom, who sells small users abrasives, welding supplies and dills at wholesale prices. Less overhead. He's been selling abrasives for 20+ years. I know he has sold to companies in South America, but not to Europe yet :)

http://blueribbonabrasives.com/

Back